Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet Trivia #9

Steve1871

The bayonet and the scabbard are from different countries, but in this case, it is correct.Hope you guy's don't solve this one in  too quick, have few other pic's of this. It is a Great War piece

image.jpg

The bayonet certainly a cut down vetterli Italian bayonet. 

For the scabbard I need more photos. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

And the scabbard Italian to fit the cut down vetterli bayonet

Hey Demitrios, you are only half right, as with ersatz Bayonet's , at least 5 countries did that, this set up is for another rifle, another country. This is the main feature of the bayonet/scabbard/frog

Steve

Release the frog from the scabbard to check it better please. 

Rwgards

D. 

I sorry, do not have that pic. Demitrios ,I back on the road, only have 2 or 3 more pic's, but they would give it away.

You are correct in Italian bayonet, scabbard, Italian, may be cut down

Steve

I reckon the scabbard is a cut down example of the scabbard for the Carcano M1868 artillery carbine bayonet. These were originally used on the M1860 Piedmontese rifle.

Mike

Thank's  MIKE H,  I did not know that.  The Carcano 1868 was a needle fire gun. If some collector has an Artillary Carbine with it's Bayonet and scabbard, I think that would look very Impressive to collector's.... Thank You for that

Answer is Quebec Home Guard!

when Canada shipped off to war in the Great War, I read how the cities had to raise their own fund's if they wanted a " Home Guard" company for themselves. 

Quebec bought a small number of

M71/84 Mauser rifle's. ( tubular magazine) from, I believe, Bannerman's in U.S., These were still In original black powder 11.15X60R caliber

It is my belief that, with so many other rifles surplus at the time ,including smokeless rifles, Quebec simply WANTED to have an armed " Home Guard" for their city, and that they rightfully believed that these troop's would not see any action on the home front..... As for the selection, two thing's, . They were cheap and were in New / Near New condition.

The Italian bayonet's must have been extreamly cheap

I have read that a lot of these 

QHG  71/84 rifles were later cut down, barrel and stock, chambers were screwed up and when found today are in terrible condition,fouled and rusted.

Mine was not cut up, Exelent condition, Came as set, rifle, Canadian sling/cut down Italian bayonet and scabbard with Canadian frog

the rifle is full length, the only Mod. was to cram a wooden dowel in the magazine to make it a " Single Shot", The rifle, sling,frog are all  QHG marked. I do not remember if scabbard was marked. Bayonet fit's rifle good

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 4 months later...

Strange tip there, frog is old and interesting possible english? Q is not typical for Italians.

Hey Andy, sadly, I only bought one set, the seller said he had a “few set’s” available, I should have bought a few more!!!!.

The frog’s marked QHC. Still turn up now and then, saw one for sale about a month ago