The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

DSO Medal

That's a difficult one. Your best approach is probably to contact  reputable dealers in medals or auctioneers.  One or other will be able to give you a fair estimate. I'm assuming that you wish to sell one. Although quite a number of our members are collectors, all opinions would have to be personal and  of course forum rules preclude you from seeking to sell the medal through this forum.

Keith Roberts

GWF Team

• 5 years later...

Is there an established dating sequence of the Garrard & Co. cases for George V DSOs?  I ask because I have also seen George V DSOs with cases that refer to Garrard's Calcutta office in Dalhousie Square, opened in 1911, as in the attached image.  The case in the image at the beginning of this post does not have the Calcutta reference.  Would these variances be due to the date when they were issued (or alternatively their location of issue)?

Separately, in terms of wearing and mounting DSOs, most images I have seen show the crown facing forward, but some such as in the images on this post, above and below, have the reverse.  Was the medal swivel mounted so that either face could be shown facing forward?

DSO George 5 (Calcutta).jpeg

Edited by Poelcappelle

According to the Medal Yearbook a GV DSO ranges from around £1200-£1700.

Given that your example is cased and looks to be in NEF or better condition I would estimate it at the top end of the estimate.