Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

77th Field Ambulance casualties

andrew pugh

Good Morning

I hope someone can assist me please.According to the 77th Field Ambulance war diary the suffered 2 O/R killed on the 23/03/1918 when they were bombed by an enemy aircraft.The war diary does not have a casualty list within and does not have any appendixes. Is there any way to try and find the names of the 2 casualties. I think their names are Private Houlding J and Private Fitzjohn H R is it possible for anybody to confirm this is correct. I look forward to your replies.

Kind Regards

Andy

Soldiers' Effects has Houlding as DOW that day and with 77th FA. He has 2 (sick & wounded) lists on FMP for earlier service with 94th FA in Egypt.

Fitzjohn (Fitzfohn on Ancestry) is in same records, KIA with 77th FA that day. He also has a set of records on FMP Nothing about how he died in the records but these say DOW received in action.

TEW

Hi TEW

The reason I asked the question is this.I have a list of 22 casualties that were found at map reference 57c.I.32.c.8.0 in September 1919.I have been concentrating on that list for several years because I strongly believe one of the four Royal Fusiliers is my Gt Uncle that's still ongoing research.About 4 years ago i was successful in identifying one of them with another 2 pending, possibly a fourth if my research is right on the 2 77th Field Ambulance casualties.

The 77th Field Ambulance says that they sustained 2 casualties on the 23/03/1918. One of the named men on the list is Private Houlding J who is buried in a named grave in Bancourt British Cemetery, he was killed on the 23/03/1918.There is also another unknown R A M C man on the list I'm beginning to wonder if he is Private Horace Richard Fitzjohn the 2nd casualty, can you see where i am coming with this, he is recorded on the Pozieres Memorial and he was also killed on the 23/03/1918.There is also a slim chance that the unknown R A M C Private could be Frederick Thomas Humphries who was attached to the 2nd Ox & Buck's Light Infantry, he was killed on the 24/03/1918 and the 2nd Bn Oc 7 Bucks were in that immediate area on that date. So it  can only be Private Fitzjohn or Private Humphries who is the unknown on my casualty list.What are your thoughts?

Kind Regards

Andy