Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

266 Sqn

nshighlander

HI

Hi I`m looking for info on this Sqn(where posted).?Is there a list of people who were with this sqn?

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Dave Waddell

Dave

No 266 Sqn was formed as an anti-submarine patrol unit at the end of September 1918 at Mudros, in the Mediterranean, from Nos 437 and 438 Flights, equipped with Short 184 and Short 320 seaplanes.

After at least some of the Squadron served in the Caucasus in May 1919 as part of the 62nd Wing RAF, the unit was disbanded at Mudros in September 1919.

Regards

Gareth

I thought 266 was Biggles' squadron - so presumably fictitious... :unsure:

Regards,

MikB

MikB

'266' was indeed Capt J W Bigglesworth's squadron in the 'Biggles' saga, but there was a real No 266 Sqn as well. I don't know if W E Johns knew of the existence of the genuine unit, as it served well away from the Western Front. Perhaps he realised that there was almost no chance of confusion between the fictional Camel squadron and the real seaplane unit.

To round this off, 2Lt W E Johns was shot down and made PoW on 16 September 1918 while flying DH 4 F5712 of No 55 Sqn, Independent Force RAF, with his observer, 2Lt Alfred Amey, who was killed in action. A victory was credited to Ltn Georg Weiner of Jasta 3; it was the 7th of his eventual 9 victories.

Regards

Gareth

I read somewhere that someone extracted Biggles claims and tallied them up to 44, which put him above Albert Ball as 4th highest scorer/claimant in the Empire air corps.

Perhaps he realised that there was almost no chance of confusion between the fictional Camel squadron and the real seaplane unit.

Within his immediate timeframe perhaps, but to us savages shambling through the ruins of our forefathers' greatness, there's every chance... :D

Thanks for the info about Johns, BTW. He must have felt pretty favoured by fortune to have survived being shot down.

Regards,

MikB

Hi Everyone

just to add to the previous info

266 Sqn formed at Mudros 27 Sep 1918 with det at Skyros

10 Mar 1919 to Petrovsk Port with det at Chechen

disbanded 1 Sep 1919

All The Best

Chris