Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF confirmation.

Guest kitycat68

Guest kitycat68

just wondered if i was correct in thinking the photo attached shows the RAF badge and uniform could someone pls confirm for me thank you so much

post-25-1107125944.jpg

just wondered if i was correct in thinking the photo attached shows the RAF badge and uniform could someone pls confirm for me thank you so much

Yes, you are correct. It is an RAF uniform, and Other Ranks cap badge. Pre 1953 (King's Crown)

thank you so much can u tell anyother info from the picture i noticed on his lapel theres some sort of badge.

Not really, since his badges are hidden by his greatcoat.

I think you will find that the thing you think is a badge is a hook. There will be an eye on the other side of the collar. This is just a way of stopping getting wet.

I have noted that wartime airmen tended to wear a sidehat more than a peaked cap. This could mean that he was a pre-war serviceman or a post war serviceman.

Strictly speaking the cap badge should have changed to a Queens Crown badge after 1952, but this did not always happen.

Now lets hear from the RAF experts!

Looks like a Queens Crown to me.

Tim D

Looks like a Queens Crown to me.

Tim D

Tim

I think it possible that you are right. Could be reflection, but I thought Kings Crown.

The easiest way to sort it out would be for the poster to either try and enlarge the badge or to look at the thread "Any idea what the button is?", which shows a Kings Crown without a doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

ive managed to find another photo of his uniform without top coat on, the wings on his arm is that just to confirm that hes actually in the RAF or does it signify something else. any info much appreciated. janet

post-25-1108219220.jpg

my father [RAFVR] said it was a shitehawk and nobody every disagreed. I think it is meant to be an eagle but nobody, nobody, ever called it other than ............

i dont want to sound ignorant but what does "shitehawk" actually mean, does it explain what he actually did?

[/quotedoes it not tell you then exactly what he did? i.e. gunner etc..? i presume he was in the air.

Janet,

Not exactly, aircrew depending upon the date would normally wear a badge of their particular position ie Observer, Pilot, flight sergeant, gunner etc however these are not visible in the photos. It would seem unusual for aircrew to have a hat that was not distressed (softened) although not exceptional.

A shitehawk is a bird of prey that drops unwelcome things from a great height on unsuspecting persons below. This does not have anything to do with bombing in the RAF sense. Shitehawks are particularly prevalent around rubbish tips etc in the middle east.

Roop

This airman is shown in his "best blue".It is postwar from possibly about 1950

His rank could be AC2 ie Aircraftsman 2nd Class or even AC1 ie Aircraftsman 1st Class.

If he is an AC1,he is not a technical tradesman.He sleeve shows no insignia of trade such as Air Radar Mechanic,Engine Mechanic or other groundcrew trade.

He could be on a trade course as an AC2 and would pass out as an AC1 at tecnical trade school such as air radar,ground radar,engines,instruments, radio, airframes,electrician or even administrative courses.If he was unlucky he could be an Administrative Orderly,(Admin Orderly) an airman without a trade,in other words a "dogsbody" and a perpetual erk.

If he was on a RAF Police Course he would pass out as an acting Corporal unpaid but in reality an AC1 with authority stripes.(These could be dangerous types)

My guess is that the photograph is an example of the type that were taken at the Recruiting Centres or after kitting up at the square bashing stations,Padgate,Bridgenorth,West Kirby and Cardington or if one was lucky for female association at the WRAF square bashing station at Wilmslow.

Must dash off to watch the Cambridge lover boy who somehow turned into a vampire.

after kitting up at the square bashing stations,Padgate,Bridgenorth,West Kirby and Cardington or if one was lucky for female association at the WRAF square bashing station at Wilmslow.

......and Hednesford.

(To be strictly accurate, in 1954 and in my experience kitting out for blokes seemed to be done at Cardington only; followed by 8 weeks of squarebashing at the other four places, Padgate, Bridgnorth, West Kirby and Hednesford before trade training - technical or administrative - elsewhere....... Sorry - all about 40 years too recent for this forum!)

Chris

Sorry for forgetting about Hednesford.

In my time,before 1954, Cardington was the Recruitment Centre where kitting out and square bashing was for regulars.If a RAF type said he had been through Cardington,it was usually a sign that he was a regular,ie 3 years and above.

The other places appeared to be all associated with National Service square bashing.Padgate seemed to be the main Recruiting Centre for kitting out,then square bashing at the other places followed, including Padgate.

Regards

Frank East

• 1 year later...
not wings: known as a shitehawk, one on each shoulder.

Just come across this post,bit late I know but never mind.Both my Husband and I served in the Royal Air Force,never heard shitehawk used for the shoulder badge or cap badge,always said it was an eagle,have been in several discussions over this,some people say it is an Albatross,any ideas?

Joan

• 2 months later...

As for my opinion, the designation for the 'bird' shoulder badge would be dependant upon whom one was trying to impress. The rude version was usually reservered for pay-days (when "the golden eagle" sh*t in response to our calling out the last three of our service number, then saluted, thus sybolising our enormous gratitude for small mercies received. I recall two of my mates in my billet who were inclined to boast, when in the presence of certain girls, that one (a Leading Aircraftsman wearing a two-bladed propeller badge) claimed that he was a spitfire pilot, whilst his mate (A senior Aircraftsman, wearing a three bladed propeller badge), claimed he was a bomber pilot. In reality, we were all simply dogs bodies of no authority what-so-ever. I suspect that this explanation will raise more questions than it answers, for the uninitiated but it may raise a smile from exservicemen. As for myself, I was in the RAF when Pontious was a Pilot! (old RAF joke) Southern Giordie.