Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th G.H.Q Res M.T. Coy (ASC)

Jools mckenna

Could anyone tell me what this unit did? I know it was a motorized transport unit but not much more than that. 

Hi Jools,

Had a scan through the company list in 'Army Service Corps 1902 1918' by Michael Young, and unfortunately I can't find 12th G.H.Q. Reserve MT Company. 1st to 11th are all there and 13th to 23rd are all there. 11th is 583 MT Company and 13th is 959 MT Company. There are 4 MT Companies 1037, 1114, 1115 and 1116 that are just listed as G.H.Q. Reserve MT Companies, so it could be one of those.

Thank you. Perhaps it was set up post-war?

13 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Thank you. Perhaps it was set up post-war?

I wouldn't think so.

MT Coys were being disbanded quickly after the armistice, not being created.

And if 23rd was already in existence, I wouldn't expect No. 12 to be formed post war.

Maybe The National Archive has it listed differently?

Hej Jools

There is a Reserve Mechanical Transport Company No. 12 (45 Coy ASC) war diary for 1918 Mar - 1920 Jan. (WO 95/135/9).

Link to NA

Could this be the unit you are looking for ?

Steen

5 minutes ago, bingoworlddk said:

I believe you've found it!

14 minutes ago, bingoworlddk said:

Hej Jools

There is a Reserve Mechanical Transport Company No. 12 (45 Coy ASC) war diary for 1918 Mar - 1920 Jan. (WO 95/135/9).

Link to NA

Could this be the unit you are looking for ?

Steen

I think that could be the one.

It lists 959 MT Coy for example, in the same way as " Reserve Mechanical Transport Company. No.13 (959 Company A.S.C.) "

And the GHQ bit comes from the fact that they were General Headquarters troops, not Corps, or Divisional troops, and indexed as such by TNA.

Only the Divisional troops of the ASC have war diaries on Ancestry (available with extra sub).

So you will have to pay to download them (£3.50 using the link found by Steen above), or attend Kew to download them there for free.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Michael Young's book has 45 MT Coy Formed 1900 Disbanded 1921, Theatre/Order of Battle Western Front, 1st Cavalry Division, GHQ Troops, Role in First World War Division Ammunition Park MT, 12 Reserve (MT) Company WO 95 135 and 1107 respectively.

On page 51 45 MT Company is listed as one of 19 MT Companies that moved to France with the BEF 20th August 1914.

7 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Thank you.

Edited by Jools mckenna

In August 1914 45 Company was indeed the Cavalry Ammunition Park for 1st Cavalry Division.

GHQ Reserve MT Companies, and their predecessors the horsed Reserve Parks, formed an additional resource for conveying supplies to the front during times of heavy usage. They were held as GHQ Troops rather than forming part of a division, corps or army.

Ron

Ron,

Spot on! I would also envisage them them performing any number of unforecast transport tasks that required a surge capability such as troop lifts, moving engineer stores, ammunition dumping programmes, etc.

All the best,

Gary