Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

Jeff Marley

Hoping to find further information on my grandfather Joseph Marley (153) (Bedlington) Northumberland Fusiliers he was mentioned in the War Office Weekly Casualty List Feb 12th 1018 also there is a Joseph Marley (133) in the Roll of Individuals War Badge 28 Feb 18

So I suppose the question is what was his correct service number and if there is any other places I can look to obtain more history.

Secondly can someone breakdown all the abbreviation. 

1918 Casualty - Marley J WO List 5 Feb.JPG

1918 ROLL War Badge - Joseph Marley 18-133.jpg

18/133 on the roll for the "Silver War Badge (SWB)" is wrong, that number in the Northumberland Fusiliers was for James Hind, the "18" refers to the 18th Bn, his Medal Card shows 18/153.

"G.S.W." stands for Gun Shot Wound, however this was a catch all term that included shrapnel wounds. "392" is the paragraph of "K.R" (King's Regulations) he was discharged under, "(xvi)" is the sub-paragraph meaning "No longer physically fit for War service" see here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

As you obviously have an Ancestry subscription, you'll find the Medal Card as well as the Medal Roll for his War/Victory medals on there.

Sam

Edited by roughdiamond

Jeff,

Welcome to the Forum. I suspect that there was only one Joseph Marley in the Northumberland Fusiliers and that the '133' is a misprint. The one I have found has the number 18/153. Here is his Medal Roll (on Ancestry): Marley - Medal Roll and here is a MICMarley - MIC. The '18/' prefix refers to the battalion he was in; the 18th.

To research a soldier, you might read this useful guide: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/. If you don't have Ancestry, you may be able to access it for free at your local library.

Best wishes,

Acknown

18/153 Pte Joseph Harley - served with III Platoon, 'A' Company, 18th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(1st Tyneside Pioneers). Enlisted 20/10/1914 and is named in the Battalion History. 18/133 was infact Pte James Hind, who lived at 19 Sheraton St, Newcastle.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Graham,

Interesting spelling. The other references have Marley as surname, as does Jeff! Regimental history misprint?

Acknown

22 hours ago, Acknown said:

Graham,

Interesting spelling. The other references have Marley as surname, as does Jeff! Regimental history misprint?

Acknown

Doh - very sorry. My fault, its an age thing - hit the 'H' and not the 'M', so its definately "Marley"

I know the feeling ......

Acknown

On 11/06/2019 at 19:54, Graham Stewart said:

18/153 Pte Joseph Harley - served with III Platoon, 'A' Company, 18th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(1st Tyneside Pioneers). Enlisted 20/10/1914 and is named in the Battalion History. 18/133 was infact Pte James Hind, who lived at 19 Sheraton St, Newcastle.

Hi Graham

Can you tell me where you found the info and possibly send me some links/photos, as I need to be sure it is my grandfather dob Mar 1897 in Morpeth Northumberland who was married 1916 in Stannington to Myra Froggart.

Joseph had a cousin called Joseph Marley four years older which has led to some confusion during previous searched

Attached is some other info I found

1917 Casualty - Marley J Yorkshire Post 15 Dec.JPG

1919 Medals and Badge - index card Marley J.jpg

1920 WW1 Service Medal & Award Roll Joseph Marley #153.jpg

WO-372-13-120034.pdf

Hi,

Graham may be too shy to say it himself but he is the NF expert (from the raising of the regiment to it’s disbandment). He co authored the Tyneside Scottish Brigade History book.

A lot of his research was carried out before the “digital age” but he has allowed FMP access to his WW1 soldiers database where you will likely find the material he has quoted above about your relative.

Steve

"Hi Graham

Can you tell me where you found the info and possibly send me some links/photos, as I need to be sure it is my grandfather dob Mar 1897 in Morpeth Northumberland who was married 1916 in Stannington to Myra Froggart.

Joseph had a cousin called Joseph Marley four years older which has led to some confusion during previous searched

Attached is some other info I found."

Hi Jeff - Well basically your 18/153 Pte Joseph Marley, appears in the 18th Battalion History, authored by Lt-Col John Shakespeare, which was printed in 1920 for private distribution among former members of the Battalion and so I've attached the page he can be found on.

Now what I do find interesting is that you have a copy of him being named as "wounded" and Acknown has the War Office Casualty return for February 1918 recording him as "not wounded". I myself have a full run of the Regimental Journal for the Great War in which the War Office Lists were reproduced, however neither your List nor Acknowns appear to have been checked by the Regimental Depot for inclusion in St.Georges Gazette for that period and so he's never mentioned. Therefore could you please tell me what date did that list of your wounded appear in the newspapers?

18th History.jpg

Graham,

His list is from the "Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer" of the 15th December 1917
Which itself comes from the "Daily list of December 13th, 1917 (part IV)", published in the "Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry)" on 18th of December 1917.
nf.png.8a8abdfda6ddb966420008cb272e4034.png

Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

Cheers Derek - many thanks. Wonder why the N.F. Depot Staff hadn't included them in the Regimental Journal?

To square the circle, I didn't have casualty list, just medal details.

Acknown

From Jeff Marley (Joseph’s grandson)

Hi All,

Just trying to get my head around all the info you guys have managed to source:-

·         1914-18/153 Pte Joseph Marley - served with III Platoon, 'A' Company, 18th (Service) Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(1st Tyneside Pioneers). Enlisted 20/10/1914 and is named in the Battalion History. 

·         1917- Reported Wounded "Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer" of the

15th December 1917 Which itself comes from the "Daily list of December 13th, 1917 (part IV)", published in the "Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry)" on 18th of December 1917.

·         1918- Reported Not Wounded “War Office Weekly Casualty List Feb 12th 1918

·         1918- Roll of Individuals entitled to the War Badge although Joseph Marley Regtl. No. was incorrect at 18/133

·         1918- Discharged 13th Sept 1918

·         1920-  Roll of Individuals entitled to the Victory Medal and British War Medal 10th Jan 1920

Question:-

1.       Not sure what this document is telling me1919 Medals and Badge - index card Marley J.jpg

2.       On the War Badge Roll what does the No of Badge and Cert “B10333” relate to.

3.       Is there a record of what theatre he fought in.

4.       Is there a record of what injuries he sustained, my father Gilbert (dob 1919) was told he lost a hand, Note Joseph left his wife Myra soon after returning from the war.

5.       Was Joseph Discharged due to wounds inflicted? Re. War Badge Roll What does all the letter designation mean.

• 1 year later...

My wife's grandfather, Henry George Cowley, served initially in the 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. His service number was 16/826. Does that mean he was the 826th volunteer to enlist in the battalion? Any advice gratefully received! 

• Admin

Answers here to avoid repetition 

Michelle