Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doctors writing....

paul.pengelly

From my  Great Uncle 400264 Thomas Pengelly ,CEF service file,struggling with this handwritten report.

"....on Nov 20th as he was coming out of the trench he recieved a shrapnel wound in left leg    .(Profuse haemorrhage?) followed.Taken first ???? dressing station then ???? clearing station Ballieul,was operated on at Balliuel,and some shrapnel removed.

Was hoping to be able to work out where his initial medical treatment took place,there are pages and pages on his subsequent 18 month hospital and convalescent treatment but this is the only bit on the first hours.

Thanks for looking

20190611_083402.jpg

My god that was quick!... 

who knew that they had hash tags in those days!, just had to google it to check    #  "..designation of an ordinal number..,and abbreviation for pounds  ."

#1 field dressing..makes sense all I could  see was that the first letter looked so much like the first letter in "taken" and nothing like the first letter in "followed"  ,and the writer didn't do his trademark extend the f three lines below.!

Great work thanks

15 minutes ago, paul.pengelly said:

#  "..designation of an ordinal number..,and abbreviation for pounds  ."

For most of my life that was the only use for the symbol. I remember being baffled when it was hijacked by Twitter et al for a role for which it was never intended.

Dave

On 11/06/2019 at 11:25, depaor01 said:

For most of my life that was the only use for the symbol. I remember being baffled when it was hijacked by Twitter et al for a role for which it was never intended.

Dave

I can't really imagine   "#1 field dressing"  trending ...whatever it is that means 

Unfortunately  I am still in the dark as to where he went before Baillieul,despite looking through 6 Canadian Field Ambulance war diaries each with 3 sections, I am none the wiser.

Didn't have much luck with the Duchess of Connaught ,Taplow Hospital war diary either,they are missing two months from  early 1917 right when he would have been leaving for HIllingdon Convalescent Hospital.....sometimes its best to just step away from the computer.