Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Royal Munster Fusilier

Robinson78580

James Lowton 1921I believe this to be a relative who was in the 1st Royal Munster Fusiliers private 5730 who gained the victory and war medals and was discharged medically unfit 31/07/1916. James Nathan Lowton. I was wondering whether anyone could identify the badge which confirms the regiment? 

Hi the badge is the Silver War Badge awarded to soldiers discharged due to wounds or sickness ( in the main)

Hi Victoria,

It wasn't a medal as such, if you were not fit for service, had served but were discharged due to wounds or sickness etc, then the individual would have applied for this badge so they could wear it as a sort of safe guard, all the men folk were joining up, so everyone who was not in uniform through no fault of their own, because of the above already mentioned, were receiving white feathers and heckled etc,so the badge was there to say I have done my bit,or have tried to join or whatever, and they would be left alone.

I hope this helps 

Chris

It might be useful to see a clear image of the badge.  Below is the explanation of the badge from the Imperial War Museum:

“This small silver badge is a pin designed to be worn on civilian clothes after early discharge from the army. It was first issued in 1916, when it was also retrospectively awarded to those already discharged since August 1914. The Silver War Badge was initially called simply the ‘War Badge’; it has also been popularly known as the ’Silver Wound Badge’, ‘Services Rendered Badge’, ‘Discharged Soldiers Badge’, or ‘King’s Silver Badge’.”

“The certificate is an ornate printed scroll in which the number, names and unit of the discharged serviceman or woman were handwritten in a calligraphic script. The wording was ‘[…Number, rank, name, unit…] Served with honour and was disabled in the Great War. Honourably discharged on...’ There was a facsimile signature of King George V. There were different designs for the Army, Navy and Air Force, and for Imperial troops.”

“The Silver War Badge Roll, generally gives the date of enlistment, and why the discharge was granted. The Silver War Badge Roll is held at The National Archives, and available online via Ancestry and Findmypast.

CC9052CC-C4D4-4546-9353-6438BD0E0C5A.jpeg

B11E4C44-ACEE-44E5-A5D8-3B7ACC824551.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE