Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paderborner Infanterie-Regiments (7. Lothr.) Nr. 158,

busterfield

Hello, I'm trying to find the regimental history of the 158th Paderborn infantry regiment. I have looked in a lot of places but cannot find it online. The history including 1918 ois the version I am looking for. Preferably an English version, but with an American Maternal line called Franz that comes from Germany I should be able to find a relative somewhere.

Regards Buster

2 hours ago, busterfield said:

Thanks for the answer Charlie. I thought it may have been a long shot.

Buster

Are you looking for something in particular?

Charlie

Hello, my grandfather was in the 30th MGC and according to his "how I was captured" statement was at Lemon valley, near Francilly Selency on March 21st 1918. I gather that IR158 were involved in that attack and wondered if I had got the right regiment ? There are also a few maps in the back of the histories that are of interest for detail.

Buster

1 hour ago, busterfield said:

Hello, my grandfather was in the 30th MGC and according to his "how I was captured" statement was at Lemon valley, near Francilly Selency on March 21st 1918. I gather that IR158 were involved in that attack and wondered if I had got the right regiment ? There are also a few maps in the back of the histories that are of interest for detail.

Buster

Buster,

IR158 attacked a line from just south of Manchester Hill to just south of Francilly-Selency. Having looked at a trench map it looks like IR158 is the right regiment. So it looks like it is your lucky day as I translated most of the the chapter dealing with 21st March and also copied a map showing the regiment‘s advance. You already have the barrage map from the history of IR53, it helps with the IR158 narrative. I‘ll get back to you later.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, after a while I got the files open, pride makes me blame the computer and not the person working it. The IR 158 seems mainly Manchester Hill so I'll probably have to move up to Fusilier Regiment 40 and see what luck I have there.

Buster

Hi Buster,

these might be useful, then:

Führen, Franz: "Füsilier-Regiment Fürst Karl Anton von Hohenzollern (Hohenzollernsches) Nr. 40", Die Hohenzollernfüsiliere im Weltkrieg 1914-1918." (Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regt.; Truppenteile des ehemaligen preußischen Kontingents, 339. Band: . (Hgg.: Offiziersverein u. beide Verbände ehemaliger 40er M.-Gladbach u. Rastatt (Baden). 1930 Frutwangen, W. Kirchberg (für den Verband ehemaliger Vierziger), 704 Seiten + 96 Seiten: "Ehrentafel unserer gefallenen Helden".

"Festschrift zur Feier des hundertjährigen Bestehens des Füsilierregiments Fürst Karl Anton von Hohenzollern (Hohenzollernschen) Nr. 40.", Herausgegeben vom Regiment 26. Januar 1918. 84 Seiten.

GreyC

13 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Buster,

these might be useful, then:

"Festschrift zur Feier des hundertjährigen Bestehens des Füsilierregiments Fürst Karl Anton von Hohenzollern (Hohenzollernschen) Nr. 40.", Herausgegeben vom Regiment 26. Januar 1918. 84 Seiten. 

GreyC

That one won't be helpful as the fighting near Manchester Hill was in March 1918, two months after this brochure was published (publications from the wartime contain anyway less detailed information because of military secrecy and censorship).

Jan