Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fusilier

Paul T

Hallo

I am researching Pte. Frederick S Cheek of the 2/4th City of London R.F. Service No. 3030. I have some information although Service and Pension records do not appear to exist

At some time he was transferred and served with the Labour Corps until discharged 1st February 1919. His L.C.Service number was 235270.

Can anybody tell me the likely date that he joined the Labour Corps.

Thank you.

Paul T

I think that LC number puts it between June and September 1917 but I'm sure someone who is an expert (I'm certainly not) will come along shortly to help.

• Admin

235268 Sleigh, formerly 251991 3rd (Reserve) Bn London Regt R.F.  was transferred and renumbered to the Labour Corps (H.S. Employment Company) on the 23rd June 1917.  Medical Category Ciii. he did not serve overseas.

235282 Edmans, formerly 4696 /281990 4th Bn London Regt R.F was transferred and renumbered to the Labour Corps (H.S. Employment Company) on the 23rd June 1917.(677  H.S. Labour Company ).  Age 20 on enlistment he was posted to France and the L.C. Base Depot on the 7th April 1918 and from there to 50 Labour Company.

So rough guess your man was posted to the Labour Corps on 23rd June 1917 and in all probability to 677 H.S. Employment Company.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help.

Pretty accurate accurate info from Kenf. Only difference is that he seemed to have been sent to 676 L.Company at Seaford, Sussex.

Thanks again.

Paul