Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Codd

Jools mckenna

I bought a camera (a VPK) from eBay and it belonged to the seller's Grandad. She showed me a photo of him and told me 

I still have his army service book and photocopied a couple of pages for you. You'll see he was born in 1898 and first enlisted in 1916. He married my grandmother after the war and like many men of that time would never speak of his experiences. He said it was better that we never knew.
He was great fun as a grandfather and often had my sister and I in fits of giggles when we were children.
For the whole of his life he was immaculately dressed on a Sunday .
3 piece suit, fob watch, overcoat and trilby hat. I can see him now carefully polishing his best black shoes to a mirror finish and brushing his hat before we all went to church.

He seems to be ASC. Any info about him would be greatly appreciated. 

Charles Codd (3).jpg

There is a MIC and Medal Roll (BWM and VM) for this soldier:

Transport Sergeant Charles CODD. ASC. Service number M-348504. No other papers readily apparent.

Do you have any other info from the pages you were given by the seller, there may be some letters and numbers which might translate to a unit etc.

2 minutes ago, sotonmate said:

There is a MIC and Medal Roll (BWM and VM) for this soldier:

Transport Sergeant Charles CODD. ASC. Service number M-348504. No other papers readily apparent.

Do you have any other info from the pages you were given by the seller, there may be some letters and numbers which might translate to a unit etc.

The papers I think have been sent with the camera, which I haven't received yet. 

7 minutes ago, sotonmate said:

Apparently, "Soldiers who served in the Mechanical Transport usually had the letter M as a prefix to their number."

Apparently his unit was the 12th G.H.Q Res M.T. Coy. (The camera arrived today so I now have the photo copy of the papers. Also the camera is still in full working order but a bit dusty.)