Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1916 British 18 Pounder Colouring?

jimmy9fingers1

Hi All,

I have a 1916 dated inert 18 pound shell + shell head and fuse.

Could anybody shed any light on the colouring of the shell as it looks a little unorthodox.

The shell head is hollow, I'm guessing these weren't filled with shrapnel as the fuse doesn't appear to have a timer.

Although I know very little about these things.

Thanks,

Jim

A ww1 shell complete.jpg

A ww1 shell 1916.jpg

The colours are for HE, but I don't know if the paint's original - my guess would be not.

The fuze would presumably be impact and/or graze rather than timed, but there are plenty on here who'll know a lot more.

Edited by MikB

Thanks MikB,

The paint is definitely not original, is HE an original paint scheme, please excuse my ignorance, I don't know what HE stands for, I will do some goolging,

Regards,

Jim   

The paint colours are for an HE shell filled with Amatol 80/20 (Ammonium Nitrate & TNT mix). Don't know about originality - the body seems to be quite rough, as if rusted and re-painted. The smooth driving band indicates an un-fired projectile (figures: not generally much left of a fired HE shell!).

The fuze appears to be/may be a 'Fuze, Percussion, No.101 with a Gaine, No.2'. 

Mike 

Thanks chaps for some great info, I'm usually into British firearms and bayonets, but this caught my eye, Yes only the shell casing has been fired, I suspect the rest came from a stockpile after the war or somebody took it back as a souvenir. And MKC thanks for the more in depth facts

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this is an 18 pounder HE cartridge with unfired shell. The brass bit at the bottom is the cartridge case, sometimes called a shell case, but never just shell. Because shell is the "shell head" or projectile. Projectile = shell. It's fitted with the correct period No. 101 Mk II percussion fuze and No. 2 gaine. The shell paint is not bad - pretty close to the correct Golden Yellow (much brighter than the WW2 Middle Buff), but the green is too pale. Here's a photo by Tomo.T of a couple of well painted WW1 era 18 pounder cartridges he did - shrapnel on the left and HE (this one painted for Trotyl filling). But I have no evidence that the nose caps on the No. 80 shrapnel fuze were ever painted red.

Graeme

930017783_18pounders.PNG.13fba60a398f9f10a4c0dae4499964cb.PNG

Edited by GraemeD

2 hours ago, 303man said:

From the ammunition book, 18 pdr colour schemes.

18-pr_rds_1939.jpg

This plate is from the 1940 handbook and is not quite right for a WW1 era shell. In 1939 the shell colour was changed from Golden Yellow to Middle Buff. Also in WW1 the red filling indicator was a solid red band, not red crosses (that signify the shell is suitable for use in hot climates).  Tomo.T's photo above is pretty spot on for a Trotyl (TNT) filled shell of WW1 era.