Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cards

battle of loos

Good evening,

I can no longer connect to the site  "National Archives " in order to search for  "Medal Cards".

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Kind regards

Michel

Good evening,

Thanks for the link (in French) but when I wish to open a Medal Card, a new page appears and asks me to subscribe.

I no longer have any link to National Archives that do not work (also war Diarry).

Kind regards

Michel

I am a member of Ancestry whose subscription lapsed a long time ago. I can confirm that I can access the cards. They did declare that access would be free for "the centenary", so I am hoping this continues for the rest of the calendar year, and does not expire on 28 June 2019.

The UK National Archives collection is best searched via the Discovery search engine, and a link was posted above. If you want to limit your search to solely medal index cards, then you need to apply the limit of the search to the "WO 372" series. Similarly, if you want to limit your search to solely war diaries, then you need to apply the limit of the search to the "WO 95" series.

If you want medal index card transcription info, there are two potential sources:

1. "British Army Ancestors" has the transcripts. This is a clever idea on the part of Paul Nixon, and hopefully the people that access this site, and then make a purchase, will cover the costs of this site
  2. The "Lives of the First World War" website is primarily based upon the medal index card transcriptions. This is offline, but will be resurrected at the end of June 2019.

I hope this is of use, as I cannot help you further.

Good evening,

Thank you for these very precise explanations.

Kind regards

Michel