Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Born in India

Chris_Baker

If a man was born in India to British parents, and his father was serving with the British Army in India at that time, how did this later affect his enlistment in England in 1914?

Was he counted as a British citizen?

I would be grateful for any insight.

I think in the main skin colour was probably the passport to how you were regarded/categorised. I would add to that that officers son's probably went to school and lived a large part of their life in Britain anyway.

Before 1949, anyone born with a close connection to the British Empire was a British subject, so in theory it would have made no difference to your official status whether you were born in Adelaide, Accrington, or Agra. Of course, in reality as Signals points out, skin colour was the main thing, or as it says on attestation forms 'pure European descent'.

Was not there one man born in India, his Father a serving Soldier refused

British Citizenship and who also served in the British Army. ?

" Spike Milligan"

I think Spike Milligan's problem in getting citizenship was that his father was Irish? I could be wrong, but it is certainly an injustice that a man can serve in the British Army and not be entitled to British citizenship - the Gurkhas come to mind.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

From my time at the HO, persons born in Canada, Australia & NZ up to 1948 automatically had a right to a British passport. A person born to British parents oveseas, one of whom is a serving member of HMF also has a right to British citizenship. I was at school with a guy born on Cyprus in 1964, whose father was serving there and he was a UK national.

Ian

How's this for a good mix?

Born 1880 in Madras of English parents - father a merchant. Went to Canada in 1911 to farm. Volunteered for overseas service with the CEF in March 1916. Served with 7th Bn Canadian Infantry. Died Hill 70 15th August 1917, commemorated Vimy Memorial and Acle War Memorial, Norfolk! Unable to find out if he ever visited the village.

His uncle from Acle survived WW1 but his son - born England but volunteered from Canadian farming career - died Wieltje 31st July 1917 - also on village memorial.

• 1 month later...
Guest CASSQUINN

Hello All,

I believe there was an Indian man,Jogendra? Sen

who served with 15th Bn.West Yorks,The Leeds Pals.I think he was known as `Jon` Sen and had attended university

in Leeds.This would seem to indicate that skin colour was

not an absolute criterion.I believe he was killed in action.