Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help interpreting a record

David Tattersfield

I wonder if anyone is able to help interpret the attached record for a former work colleague of mine. The record is for the chap's grandfather John Edwin Marshall, who served in the RN. I have a pdf from TNA (from which this jpeg was extracted) which may be slightly better resolution (but not much). (If necessary I'll post the pdf if the attached jpeg is simply not readable). 

Any help with the handwriting / interpreting the document will be very gratefully received !!!

thanks

David

john edwin marshall from TNA.JPG

He was a Special Service (SS Official No.) stoker. His SS engagement required him to serve five years in the Fleet, followed by seven years in the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR), which he duly did, being discharged to Shore, Time Expired (TE) in February 1920. In April 1921 he was mobilised from the RFR for two months service in response to the national miners' strike.He was rated Acting Leading Stoker for his last year of active service. Very Good Character assessments throughout and rose to  Superior in Ability. Ships in which he served are listed with dates. Initially a Devonport-based stoker (In the braracks at HMS VIVID) when no at sea, later transferring to Chatham-based, using barracks at HMS PEMBROKE.

Served in HMS FALMOUTH (cruiser) from April 1915. She was present at the Battle of Jutland and he was still serving in her when she was sunk on 19 August 1916.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Falmouth_(1910)

Edited by horatio2

Brilliant. Many thanks for this. I'm trying to read the ships names on the left hand side of the document, but can't make these out. I'm aware that Vivid II and Pembroke are shore establishments, but (for example) would Weymouth be a vessel or the town? The other 'ships' (?) I can't make out !!!

Super !!! Many thanks again

David