Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Map Reference

petet

Can anyone point me in the direction of an online map showing the following location L34d.05.77

Your usual help would be much appreciated

Regards

Pete

There are numerous trench maps with the ref L34,,,, Need to know the sheet no. ie 28NE4 which would prefix the L34, or the name of the place  enquiring.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie .... I had wrongly assumed that the L34 was the map reference (rather than location reference) ...... no wonder I couldn't find it!

Croisy is one location that I do know is associated with this flight ..... so that will have to be my start point

Regards

Pete

Croisy being where?  Not in the Loire region or Normandy presumably where two Croisy are to be found.  Otherwise is it Croissy sur celle south of Amiens or Croissy sur Eure near Evreux?

Trying to help by finding a L34 on a map near to the given location.

Max

Thanks for the response.

The squadron (35 Squadron) was stationed at Flesselles at the time, so I am guessing it has to be in that region.

UPDATE: I have now established that it is COISY which is just north of Amiens,

I would therefore be interested to see if there is a single WWI map which shows Flesselles, Coisy and the area L34 (which I am guessing is just to the north of Amiens)

Regards

Pete

Edited by petet

Pete, now you have established it is Coisy, you want Sheet 62e, which can be converted on the Muninn Project web site to a lat lon just north of Amiens.  National Library of Scotland has a trench map overlay.  Your earlier references to Flesselles threw me as square L is nowhere near this.

Thanks again for the feedback; my aim was to try to map this flight (using original WWI material if I could), which took off from Flesselles and force landed at Coisy.

I may just have to use a modern map to show the various locations as there doesn't seem to be anything that provides a complete picture which can be included in a A4 size research document

I am also trying to understand the section which reads "312SB (6th .. XIX)" ..... could someone help with deciphering this part

Thanks, as always, for your help and advice; much appreciated

image.png.a333e7d86807450d9b8760ac03c3a932.png

Edited by petet

Pete, I'm home now and have tried this on Muninn Project (http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html?q=50.379380,2.774023).  They give it as on the Somme in Amiens, well south of Flesselles:

image.png.d9b15eb1ffd5440e1c17b9490169b1bf.png

National Library of Scotland have it for you (https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=49.9079&lon=2.2734&layers=101465332&b=1):

image.png.f5ad103628b10d4774f5cb4ab3c55bda.png

Pete, you need to give us a full extract as this is confusing where he was stationed with the target he was firing at.  This is Coisy in Amiens but it never would have been a target.  Post a link to the full diary or send a link via Drobox.  It will be in the diary.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill

Thanks for your assistance; .

Coisy was where the aircraft forced landed after the observer had been killed in the air. The target was the dump in the area of L34. The date was 1st July 1918 [Bristol Fighter C4849]

The Casualty Report shows the following: “Machine left aerodrome at 6.05 and at 7.30 was forced to land at Coisy having been attacked by enemy aircraft and machine badly shot about; Observer: Killed in the air; Pilot: Injured and admitted to hospital.

I set out to try and understand the inter-relationship between Flesselles (where the squadron was stationed), Coisy (where the aircraft force landed) and the target (shown in the Record Book). There is a possibility that the aircraft may have taken off from another aerodrome but all information I have suggests that it was Flesselles

Edited by petet

He was conducting a destructive (destruction) shoot with 312 Siege Battery ie providing aerial observation of the fall of shot.  I can't quite read what is next..It starts with  6" (6 inch) which were the guns the battery was equipped with from Feb 1918, next digit is unclear then the roman numerals are not clear either, XXX or XVX or XIX (don't think it is significant to your query).. 

Given where the lines were in July 1918 and if he was on the way back to the aerodrome then a target just to the north and east of Amiens would make sense, a L34 is just south of Albert on sheet 62D NE..  

Max

I cannot see on my map collection a place called Coisy with a map reference of L34. There is a Coisy North of Amiens on sheet 62D in square A27.

In 62D L34 there looks to be some juicy targets, South of the River Somme right near L34d.05.77.

Howard

62D.jpg

62D-2.jpg

Edited by Howard

Howard, that is precisely where I was looking five minutes ago!

The reference to 75 Bde in the next sentence can only mean** 75 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery with which 312 SB were (educated guess) working at the time.  The brigade would have allocated the battery to the shoot and passed on the report that the shoot was on target.  

The brigade has a war diary at https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/75dcd1dfac614eea9c18b401b79cbfcd which, if I didn't have a hedge to cut, I'd have a look at.

Max

**  75 Infantry Brigade was at Hill 70 and 75 Brigade RFA had been broken up in 1916.

Thanks, once again, for all your responses.

Just to reiterate, Coisy was where the aircraft force landed, not the target, which was in the L34 area

Regards

Pete

2 hours ago, MaxD said:

It starts with  6" (6 inch) which were the guns the battery was equipped with from Feb 1918, next digit is unclear then the roman numerals are not clear either, XXX or XVX or XIX (don't think it is significant to your query)..

It looks like  '6" Pk.XIX'.

Does the XIX refer to 19 Corps?

Pk. - Park?

Doesn't fit with a Siege Park who would be an ASC MT Coy.

312SB were Army Troops at this time, not attached to any brigade.

I Introduced an error into part of my earlier post  The reference in the RFC report is to 73 Bde not 75 Bde.  My link however was correctly to 73 Brigade RGA diary at TNA..

They were indeed 4th Army troops at the time and 312 SB is in the brigade (see diary). 

The hieroglyphics on reflection are Mk XIX, the mark of 6 inch gun with which 312 SB was equipped.  At the time the battery was deployed in two section positions, one of which was in square D 20 on the map sheet we have been looking at. The specific shoot is not described.

Max

Thanks, as always, for your informative responses. I will piece the information together and pass it on to my original enquirer, who is a relative of one of the airmen involved in this flight (RJ Fitzgerald, who was the observer who lost his life)

Regards

Pete