Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portable Hangars

Ian Burns

Now, let me be perfectly clear at the start that I am NOT interested in Bessonneau hangars.

I am trying to find out about "hangars démontables (système Hervieu)" an entirely different structure. From the limited information I have these were more boxy in shape.

There is some prewar information available in Flight, see attachments. But the size used in WW1 appears to have been larger and more robust.

Unfortunately I do not have a good photo of one of these hangars, but I think the attached photo may show several of them...

I would be most grateful for any information.

Ian

Hangars at Port Said (L'ARDHAN).jpg

Flight 1913 - 0379.pdf Flight 1913 - 0380.pdf

44 minutes ago, Ian Burns said:

Now, let me be perfectly clear at the start that I am NOT interested in Bessonneau hangars.

I am trying to find out about "hangars démontables (système Hervieu)" an entirely different structure. From the limited information I have these were more boxy in shape.

There is some prewar information available in Flight, see attachments. But the size used in WW1 appears to have been larger and more robust.

Unfortunately I do not have a good photo of one of these hangars, but I think the attached photo may show several of them...

I would be most grateful for any information.

Ian

Hangars at Port Said (L'ARDHAN).jpg

Flight 1913 - 0379.pdf 262.88 kB · 1 download Flight 1913 - 0380.pdf 369.8 kB · 1 download

Hi

According to The Official History of the Ministry of Munitions Volume XII, part 1, page s 132-133, there are the :

Hervieu III - 80 ft wide, by 80 ft deep and 20 ft high along the entire front.

Hervieu VI - 130 ft by 66 ft 6 in and 25 ft high.

Hervieu VIII - 79 ft by 66 ft and 25 ft high.

The III is stated as being the most successful.  Obviously there  must have been other models during the war, succeessful or not.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Eye-balling the photo (Which I must credit to l'ARDHAN and say it was taken at Port Said in 1915.) there seem to be several Hervieu III in the view. With boxy fronts and tapering backs.

I don't suppose there are any construction details or drawings in the Official History?

Ian

Forget it Mike I've found an online copy.

Ian