Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Danny's (OCA Founder) Grave in Abney Park Cemetery

ianw

I was interested to learn that Captain Danny the founder of the Old Contemptibles Association was buried with full military honours at Abney Park in the 20s.

Has anyone visited his grave recently?

A clue to the location would be appreciated if anyone can help with this.

It's not too far from me-   if you get really stuck, I can get over there and ask.  An e-mail to London Borough of Hackney archives may prove useful-  if you have an exact date of death, then that would help to check the cemetery register for where he is located. Abney Park suggests he was Nonconformist.

There is plenty of information about Danny at the below website including a Pathe newsreel showing the unveiling of his headstone

https://ourwar1915.wordpress.com/2019/02/16/captain-john-patrick-danny-the-founder-of-the-old-contemptibles-association/

Edited by ilkley remembers

thanks Ilkley. It was viewing this website that prompted my initial question.  The film is fascinating but doesn't give much of a clue to his grave location

It is now neglected unsurprisingly.  A mission to give it a clean would seem appropriate but finding it first needed.

danny grave1.jpg

There are moves to obtain permission to clean Captain Danny's headstone happening at the moment. I only have very sketchy details so don't know any more information. The headstone narrowly avoided being destroyed by a falling tree over the winter.