Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.S Lewis RFC - Diary?

Sprucey

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? I'm currently researching the artillery observation work of D.S Lewis (Royal Eng/RFC).Did he leave a diary or private papers and if so, do you know where they are held? 

I came across quotes attributed to him in Lyn MacDonald's 1915.This isn't a source I would generally use given she never attempted to verify anything she was told. Given Lewis died in 1916, however,  I assume she got the quotes from somewhere, I'd like to know where.

Thanks and best

Sprucey

1 hour ago, Sprucey said:

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? I'm currently researching the artillery observation work of D.S Lewis (Royal Eng/RFC).Did he leave a diary or private papers and if so, do you know where they are held? 

I came across quotes attributed to him in Lyn MacDonald's 1915.This isn't a source I would generally use given she never attempted to verify anything she was told. Given Lewis died in 1916, however,  I assume she got the quotes from somewhere, I'd like to know where.

Thanks and best

Sprucey

Hi

From what I have looked at, when Lewis is mentioned in publications the Official History and MacDonald are quoted as sources not a diary or any papers sadly.  The comments on pages 70-71 in MacDonald's book may actually be more related to the OH text, at least in part.  I shall try to have a look through my documents from the TNA on early wartime wireless use to see if I can find more.

I am actually working on an article that encompasses pre-war Air/Ground and Ground/Air communication trials and experiments including artillery co-operation.  Various signalling methods were tried out at Larkhill in 1912, 1913, and prior to war in 1914, this sometimes included early wireless (which had its problems like other methods) and rather more officers than D S Lewis were involved in trying to make a system work even with limited budgets. In the early war period these continued under Musgrave.

I hope you can find a Diary/papers as I suspect they could be interesting.

Mike

Hello Sprucey,

You'll find a great deal of information on D S Lewis in my recent book: Baptism of Fire The Royal Flying Corps at War. The First Year in France 1914-1915.

On 26/05/2019 at 14:04, MikeMeech said:

Hi

From what I have looked at, when Lewis is mentioned in publications the Official History and MacDonald are quoted as sources not a diary or any papers sadly.  The comments on pages 70-71 in MacDonald's book may actually be more related to the OH text, at least in part.  I shall try to have a look through my documents from the TNA on early wartime wireless use to see if I can find more.

I am actually working on an article that encompasses pre-war Air/Ground and Ground/Air communication trials and experiments including artillery co-operation.  Various signalling methods were tried out at Larkhill in 1912, 1913, and prior to war in 1914, this sometimes included early wireless (which had its problems like other methods) and rather more officers than D S Lewis were involved in trying to make a system work even with limited budgets. In the early war period these continued under Musgrave.

I hope you can find a Diary/papers as I suspect they could be interesting.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for replying. I can't believe she 'made it up' but it's very specifically quoting him. I've previously checked with the RAF museum but might ask them specifically again. Be really interested in your article when it is finished, do you have a target date?

On 26/05/2019 at 15:39, alex revell said:

Hello Sprucey,

You'll find a great deal of information on D S Lewis in my recent book: Baptism of Fire The Royal Flying Corps at War. The First Year in France 1914-1915.

Hi Alex, I have your book thank you and I'm familiar with Lewis's work etc, my question was specifically if anyone knows if he left papers?

Cheers

David

Hi David

Pleased you have the book. Hope it gave you useful details on Lewis, if not a diary. As for diary/papers, have you tried the IWM and the RAF/ Museum

If he has left papers and they are in an official repository they should be included in the Discovery catalogue at TNA Kew, in the "not held by National Archives" group (which will indicate where they are held). 

I'd check for him myself, but I don't know his first names and Lewis isn't uncommon...

6 hours ago, Sprucey said:

Hi Mike, thanks for replying. I can't believe she 'made it up' but it's very specifically quoting him. I've previously checked with the RAF museum but might ask them specifically again. Be really interested in your article when it is finished, do you have a target date?

David

Hi

I have been looking through various publications to see if I can find the page 70-71 quote elsewhere (her bibliography is not very helpful), so far unsuccessfully.  Lewis is mentioned quite often but not this quote.  The problem is that is 'retrospective' in that it starts mentioning about going "...outwith three machines" that would be in August 1914 and then goes on to mention ranging 9.2-inch Howitzers (first used at Neuve Chapelle) in March 1915.  The 'Clock Code' is also mentioned, the memorandum to Maj. J. M. Salmond, written on 25 January, 1915 by Lewis (mentioned on page 86 of Vol.2 of WitA) on this method should be in the AIR 1 documents at the National Archives, probably along with others written by Lewis.  I can only assume it was written later in 1915 to a friend in the military or to a family member.  I am surprised therefore if genuine it has not be used by others, at least not that I have found so far.

Therefore I am no nearer to finding the source of the quote but it reads like a letter to someone.  Although I have become very 'dubious' about 'un-sourced' quotes, among other things over the years, as there is much 'false' information that is still used in books on WW1 (and other) history.

My article is basically finished, although I need to read through it a few more times and try to sort out images for it, then the Journal editor will have to decide whether and when to use it, probably if successful some when next year would probably be the earliest.

Mike

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

If he has left papers and they are in an official repository they should be included in the Discovery catalogue at TNA Kew, in the "not held by National Archives" group (which will indicate where they are held). 

I'd check for him myself, but I don't know his first names and Lewis isn't uncommon...

Hi there, there's only this at TNA https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1060053

I have been through the RAF Museum catalogue for 1915 which didn't turn up anything obvious. I find the IWM's website unfathomable!! 

David

7 hours ago, alex revell said:

Hi David

Pleased you have the book. Hope it gave you useful details on Lewis, if not a diary. As for diary/papers, have you tried the IWM and the RAF/ Museum

Alex, very helpful, I'm concentrating on 1915 so your book is one of a tiny number to focus on my time period! .... I have checked the RAF museum without seeing anything obvious. I can't seem to find anything on any subject using the IWM search page!! 

1 hour ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

I have been looking through various publications to see if I can find the page 70-71 quote elsewhere (her bibliography is not very helpful), so far unsuccessfully.  Lewis is mentioned quite often but not this quote.  The problem is that is 'retrospective' in that it starts mentioning about going "...outwith three machines" that would be in August 1914 and then goes on to mention ranging 9.2-inch Howitzers (first used at Neuve Chapelle) in March 1915.  The 'Clock Code' is also mentioned, the memorandum to Maj. J. M. Salmond, written on 25 January, 1915 by Lewis (mentioned on page 86 of Vol.2 of WitA) on this method should be in the AIR 1 documents at the National Archives, probably along with others written by Lewis.  I can only assume it was written later in 1915 to a friend in the military or to a family member.  I am surprised therefore if genuine it has not be used by others, at least not that I have found so far.

Therefore I am no nearer to finding the source of the quote but it reads like a letter to someone.  Although I have become very 'dubious' about 'un-sourced' quotes, among other things over the years, as there is much 'false' information that is still used in books on WW1 (and other) history.

My article is basically finished, although I need to read through it a few more times and try to sort out images for it, then the Journal editor will have to decide whether and when to use it, probably if successful some when next year would probably be the earliest.

Mike

Mike, thanks for this. Yes I too have looked through an extensive list of sources, none referencing a 'quote' like this from Lewis. I'll be down in Kew in the next month and probably back at the RAF museum too.....out of academic interest more than it being useful for my dissertation I will take a look specifically now! 

If you fancy winging me a copy I'd be sure to reference it if it was useful! :) #don't_ask_don't get! ::P

35 minutes ago, Sprucey said:

I find the IWM's website unfathomable!! 

You're not the only one - and I'm a librarian!!

This paper suggests to me a faint possibility that there may be something in the Marconi Archives - which are in the Bodleian Library Special Collections.

16 minutes ago, seaJane said:

This paper suggests to me a faint possibility that there may be something in the Marconi Archives - which are in the Bodleian Library Special Collections.

Interesting. I've dropped the author of it an email to see if she came across anything. Will let you know what she says.

20 hours ago, Sprucey said:

Mike, thanks for this. Yes I too have looked through an extensive list of sources, none referencing a 'quote' like this from Lewis. I'll be down in Kew in the next month and probably back at the RAF museum too.....out of academic interest more than it being useful for my dissertation I will take a look specifically now! 

If you fancy winging me a copy I'd be sure to reference it if it was useful! :) #don't_ask_don't get! ::P

Hi

If you send me your e-mail address by PM function I shall send you an 'unfinished' copy for 'academic use'.  It has not got much on Lewis, many others are involved during this pre-war period.  As I mentioned I have got to go through it again and sort a few things out plus look through my sources to check if I have more stuff to add.

Mike

I have swapped messages with Liz Bruton who wrote the Marconi paper. Unfortunately she'd also looked for any such papers during her research and not come across anything.

Where Ms MacDonald got her quotes from remains a mystery.