Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed for machine gun sight identification

Guest JL Sheckler

Guest JL Sheckler

Hope you can steer me in the right direction. I have an old machine gun sight and two cartridges that were attached to a wood base and turned into a lamp stand by a veteran. I believe that this is a WWI era but am trying to get a specific identification of the type of gun it is from. It is 5 inches in diameter on the outside with 12 thin wire spokes connected to a small center ring 3/4" inch in diameter. It has what looks like a serial number of B197187 cc. The cartridges are each 5" long. Any idea what caliber these would be?

If you might have some leads or suggestions I would be very appreciative. I have attached a jpeg photo.

Thanks for your time, JSHECKLER@earthlink.net

post-23-1107050838.jpg

The rounds look like .5"'s and the sight looks like the bren anti aircraft sites. If you can remove the rounds and show a scan of the headstamp they will tell you the year of manufacture.

Tom.

I agree, they are US .50 cal. rounds, which would suggest the sight is also for a US .50 cal. weapon, likely an M2 Browning or the earlier M1921 used in the AA role. The gun (and ammo) was first produced in 1921.