Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Stained Glass Memorials

Canadawwi

I thought I'd share this link with all - it is a virtual tour of a series of stained glass windows in Kingston, Ontario.

Each window is dedicated to a particular battle, but what is interesting is that there are windows for Jutland and Scapa Flow - usually only the major battles are covered, and generally the interest is in the infantry and not the navy. In fact, in the city of Toronto - there are many stained glass windows, but nearly every one was privately commissioned to a fallen son - therefore you generally only see a religious theme as they are positioned within a church, but not anything to do with an actual battle. I only know of 3 that show WWI soldiers in uniform - at an Anglican church downtown.

I'm also pleased to find out (as I got to the very last slide in the group), that the windows were produced by my great great grandfather's company. His son was managing the company during WWI, but did take time out to serve with the 75th Batt. CEF, and his other son served as a Chaplain.

WWI Memorial Windows

Great find, Marika.

It must have been wnderful to find the family connections.

Thanks for sharing this!

marc

Thank you all for the feedback. I am glad you liked the windows. I think they are interesting in that they touch on all the aspects of war - women, munitions, home front, etc.

The company history, much of which comes from a 1940s article, indicated that after WWI, all the jobs were held at the stained glass window factory for employees serving in the war, plus, a very good wage was always paid.

Apparently so many windows were commissioned in the post war years that he had to go to Ireland to bring back several dozen stained glass window artists to complete the commissions. Another commission I have yet to see in person, is a series of windows in a church including fragments of broken windows from Ypres, Arras, etc., that were brought back by men.

Marika