Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Gallipoli research

ThirdYpres

My son's friend is working on a paper on the battle of Gallipoli for an Army class and looking for some resources.

Any suggested resources on finding detailed battle descriptions/analysis?

Hey there, charlie962, thank you so much --  I'll certainly pass this info along!

Notes and Comments on the Dardanelles Campaign by Lt-Col A. Kearsey,

I've misplaced my copy but recall that it gives a general summary of the campaign, a time-line and then illustrations of the principles of war

There is also a pre-WWII study by the American, G S Patton Jnr which may be of interest -

see http://www.pattonhq.com/pdffiles/gallipoli.pdf

This is a description of the 3rd Battle of Krithia from the Collingwood Battalion perspective. The Collingwoods suffered catastrophic casualties in a very short time. This is an extract from a book written by Lt Geary RM who was the Battalion QM, shortly after the battle. I have this original document passed to me by my Grandfather who was a  Petty Officer 2 i/c B Company 3 Platoon.

AD981F1B-3870-4D86-B3E1-A6026EFEBD53.jpeg

Edited by Lawryleslie

I also have a pdf of Arthur Gaskell's Official history of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation from Gallipoli, six parts extracted from two volumes (1925, 1926) of the Journal of the RN Medical Service, which covers 3rd Krithia.

Failing that search for JRNMS 11 and JRNMS 12 on archive.org

sJ

I would recommend Edward Erickson's "Gallipoli: Command Under Fire". He ably provides a detailed narrative of the battles at tactical level through the eyes of both sides.

Edited by emrezmen