Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2017 LEATHER- "KNIFE POUCH ? "

It looks like a bayonet scabbard - the hole and stud in the third picture is typical.

What is the length between the opening below "1917" and the tip? That might help identify the model of bayonet.

Ron

Unlike any bayonet scabbard I am familiar with, British examples all have a seperate frog.

The overall length is much too short.

Mike.

Similar construction to 14 pattern equipment but not a bayonet frog, my guess would be for a large Bowie type knife, so possibly private purchase in the absence of any broad arrow/government ownership stamps.

Dave.

Edit...possibly a machete scabbard, similar here..http://universewarone.com/ww1_british_or_australian_army_machete_sword_in_leather_scabbard_sheffield.php

Edited by Dave66

Did we have machetes in WW1, because if it wasn't for the date I would have said it was a WW2 machete cover, so same item, earlier war?

12 minutes ago, T8HANTS said:

Did we have machetes in WW1, because if it wasn't for the date I would have said it was a WW2 machete cover, so same item, earlier war?

By the looks of it the pattern didn't change much.

WD militaria has four pages, mainly WW2 but a few WW1 dated pieces http://www.wdmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php

It is for the issue machete

Chris Henschke

1 hour ago, reese williams said:

T8Hants - the WWI and WWII machetes are virtually identical.

Thanks I have never seen a WW1 machete, had several WW2 examples though.

• 2 years later...

I found this post in searching for more information about this machete, purchased through a local online auction a couple years ago. Total length is 51 cm, blade length 37.5 cm. Marked Samuel Kitchin, Sheffield 1917. Scabbard: Timbers 1918.

Anyone know any details? I haven't been able to find much about their intended use in WW1. Found more info from similar ones of WW2 period. I've read that the scabbard is normally elephant leather but other than that, don't have much more.

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

Edited by cheeseman64