Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of submarine depot ship?

jamiemcginlay

I've recently obtained an old postcard featuring an unknown submarine depot ship with three subs alongside (looks like an old light cruiser?).

The name on the stern is very faint but looks like 'Hazzard'.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can identify the ship and location.

Thanks.

Jim.

post-24-1107029992.jpg

Hello

This is 1070 ton torpedo gunboat HAZARD, completed in September 1894. She became a depot ship in 1915.

Location unknown, but it puts me in mind of Dartmouth.

don

Jim

There was a submarine depot ship of the same name which was the tender for the submarine A5. The A5 was moored alongside her in Queenstown harbour, Ireland, during that year, when an explosion occured aboard the submarine. There was a board if inquirey, but I'm not sure that that will help with your quest.

Terry Reeves

The colours the ship is painted in is reminiscent of thr pre war mediterraean period. It was suggested that these ships be painted matt black for night time operations, which many were, however it was finalised with matt black hulls with grey turtleback and upperworks in peacetime as it would only take a matter of a few hours to paint the rest black. The colours of the ship in the picture came about because the C-in -C Med. wanted all white with Admiralty colour(Buff) funnels and fittings.

Len