Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trawler Frascati attack on U Boat

johnnie

Bit of a long shot, but do any members have access to the following file from The National Archives at Kew:

ADM 137/3097

Attack on enemy submarine by H.M. Trawler FRASCATI

I am undertaking some work on a chap who was with the hydrophone service and was on the Frascati in 1918.

Any help at all would be great.

Johnnie

as an aside, I have also found another file at Kew. It looks like the contact may has resulted in the loss of the submarine:

ADM 137/3749

Possible destruction of submarine by HM Trawler FRASCATI

Can any members suggest a German submarine lost about this time? I'm guessing we are looking at 24th May 1918 from the file date.

Johnnie

I believe the only U-boat casualty on 24.5.1918 was UC 56, which was interned at Santander, Spain on that date after experiencing mechanical problems.  Do you know the area in which the FRASCATI was operating at the time?

Frascati doesn't seem to be associated with any actual U-boat loss in Home Waters. 

Edited by Hyacinth1326

1 hour ago, Malcolm12hl said:

I believe the only U-boat casualty on 24.5.1918 was UC 56, which was interned at Santander, Spain on that date after experiencing mechanical problems.  Do you know the area in which the FRASCATI was operating at the time?

HMS FRASCATI (hired trawler) was a tender to HMS QUEEN, the depot ship for trawlers and drifters operating in the Adriatic, from November 1917 to November 1918. She had transferred from the Dardanelles where she had been based since January 1915.

Am working on a book on WWI U-boat losses. Frascati is not associated with any U-boat loss that I'm aware of; there also currently are no missing German U-boats between early May 1918 and September 1918.

Many thanks for the replies. 

It looks like the action between Frascati and the submarine may not have resulted in the loss of the submarine, although the title of the files would certainly suggest an action between the trawler and a submarine. Especially as one of the files points to the crew of Frascati thinking they’d sunk the submarine. 

A set of documents to try and get from Kew I guess. 

Johnnie

Mate,

Of cause other countries Subs were operating in that area (Adriatic), like Austria, not to mention an off course Italian boat.

Then many so called U Boat contacts turn out to be anything other then a U Boat, so just because they say they saw a U Boat does not mean they did?

S.B