Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th KRRC in France 1915.

Sgt Stripes

Hi I have been researching 1995 CSM Stanley Arthur Smith 4th KRRC who was sadly KIA in Salonika on 24.4.1918. His service papers state that he was wounded in France 15.3.1915 (no other details of his wound but it looks like he was sent back to England the next day) . Does anyone know where the 4th were serving when he was wounded. Many Thanks   

The War Office casualty list of 13 March 1915, printed in the "Times" on 31 March, has him serving with the Rifle Brigade.

So does the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The 4th Rifle Brigade carried out a very costly counter attack at the "Mound" at St Eloi on 15 March 1915.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Hello Chris. Thanks for your reply. I have just been on the forces war records site and they also say he was wounded on the 13th . So it looks like the date in his service records is slightly wrong. 

I read his service record as wounded on 5/3/15. On the 5th March they were relieved by 2nd K.S.L.I., suffering 1 killed, 2nd Lt P.A. Naylor and 9 wounded.

Originally attested in the K.R.R.C. on 5/3/07 but transferred to the Rifle Brigade on 12/3/07. Images all from his record on Ancestry.

Andy

30600_193482-00204 copy.jpg

30600_193482-00206 copy.jpg

43112_2262_2-00017 copy.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

Andy Many Thanks for this. It seems that I have read the dates wrongly . I took the 5 to be 1915 and the 15 to be the date he was wounded. . Do you no where the 4th KRRC were on that date.   

4th Rifle Brigade were at St. Eloi, as Chris indicated in an earlier post. They had been there for sometime and had quite a bloody and miserable time there. They went into the trenches for the first time on 6th January at St. Eloi.

Andy