Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Patches

1historynut14

I have just come across a postcard with several wounded men mostly amputees and on each man's wounded uniform on the right lower side is a large black (appears black in black and white photo) patch...does anyone know the meaning of this patch?

Wendy 

Sorry I just purchased it and have not received the postcard but I will certainly do that as soon as it arrives...I thought I should wait but was hoping some of you fantastically knowledgeable people would have perhaps come across this before...thanks, johnboy, for responding and I will do so as I said...

Hi, I asked a similar question a while ago
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/249381-uniform-worn-by-prisoners-of-war/

Could it be that they are POWs who have just been repatriated due to poor health?

POWs in Germany had to wear a brown armband sewn onto their jacket, as well as a 2 inch width strip of brown piping along the seam.

Hi there -

Thanks, GrenPen for your response but these are not those type of patches nor are they armbands - they appear to be rather large patches perhaps pockets sewn onto the wounded uniforms...I have several postcards of POWs with armbands and other badges....upon further looking at the photo on-line they do appear to be pockets as in some there appear to be 'bulges' of perhaps items...due to the fact that they are all amputees that large pockets were easier for them to utilize for cigs, etc. Perhaps unique to this facility and reason all sewn on in same spot on each wounded uniform...