Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schwaben Redoubt

Guest Bill NEWMAN

Guest Bill NEWMAN

During a recent visit to the Somme I had the pleasure of meeting the curator of the Ulster Memorial tower. He explained plans to excavate and explore German underground positions including a hospital below the Schwaben redoubt. Has anyone got any indication as to progress or likely start. This has the basis for a fascinating exploration.

Regards to all

Yes I've heard a similar story but dont know any details. As you say

a fascinating exploration.

Geoff

Havent heard anything about that, but im sure someone out here will know something about it. Sounds very interesting.

I am heading over to the Ulster Tower to speak with the curator for an interview for the South Belfast Friends of the Somme Association website and to attend services on the 1st July, so i will ask him more about it then also.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell us something about it before then :rolleyes:

Guest Bill NEWMAN

To whet peoples appetite I recall seeing an underground plan which looked expansive. In common with German defensive positions in this area a great deal of thought appears to have gone into the construction . The curator tells me that the design was such that a gradient on the internal tunnels ensured drainage into the Ancre. Apparently there are reports from troops in the sector who report seeing the flushing of chalk coloured effluent .

Unfortunately apart from the activities of 1.7.16 in this sector that is all I know !

I have often wondered what remains below ground in that area, it would be fascinating if an exploration was conducted to see what actually remains - relics/tunnels/soldiers remains? Definately documentary material if an investigation evers does take place, though it would certainly be a dangerous task. Keep us posted Billy, thanks Neil.

Modern groung penetrating radar systems would very quickly give a reasonable idea of areas of potential interest. I think work with this sort of kit has already been done in the area of the new Thiepval Visitor centre site.

What with the purchase of Authuille/Thiepval Wood and the visitor centre , it would seem that this area is due to become an even more important Somme focal point. I suppose the problem is that its present character will inevitably change and , arguably, the actual Thiepval Memorial may become one "attraction" among many to its detriment. On the other hand , the entire area could become better to access and easier to understand in its entire context. Exciting times at Thiepval indeed !

If I recall rightly the headstones for part of Mill Road CWGC Cemetery are laid flat due to instability of the ground under them caused by the underground workings. If this is so, exploration of the system could prove very dangerous.

Tim

Tim,

Yes I believe you are right about the headstones in Mill Rd Cemetery, but the last time I was there contractors were installing "footings" made of concrete to enable the stones to stand upright.

Don't know if they did this for the whole cemetery or not though.

Bob.

Do you recall where you saw this plan of the underground workings? It would be facinating to see it.

There is an artist's impression on page 36 of Michael Stedman's 'Thiepval' in the Battleground Europe series