Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BULLA, W. J.

Pere

This name is commemorated on the H&W Memorial. There is no one under those initials listed by C.W.G.C. Of the two Bulla's listed, one is a labourer in the Indian Labour Corps, the other a 'follower' in the Sirmur Imperial Service Sapper Corps. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Pere

There's a William John Bulla 10th R Irish Rifles  10/19405 whose service record is on FindmyPast here

This man was an apprentice blacksmith in 1911, but to whom ? Living in Belfast. Having enlisted 1914 he deserted 1914. What happened next ?

edit - see post 4 below for the answer

Edited by charlie962

It seems clear that Bulla and Buller were interchangeable. There are two William John Buller s who died, one 1916 and one 1918. Both born Scotland but enlisted Belfast (as was Bulla above). All thoroughly confusing and even more so if you look at the trees on ancestry ! Needs a more disciplined mind than mine to try and make sense of all these ?

Charlie

William John Buller, Sappêr 64469 has service record here showing father was Thos G Buller 34 Hurst St. This is the same address and father as in my post 2 above. So the same man.

Died of Wounds 14/10/18 150th Field Co RE.

I suggest this is your man although no mention in either file of H&W

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

William John Bulla with a father Thomas George Bulla is in 1911 census as an apprentice Blacksmith. He is 18. Address 58 Britannia St. St George’s.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__George_s/Britannia_Street/161954/

Same family

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__George_s_Ward_Belfast/Britannic_Street/954719/

Edited by Mark1959

22 hours ago, charlie962 said:

It seems clear that Bulla and Buller were interchangeable. There are two William John Buller s who died, one 1916 and one 1918. Both born Scotland but enlisted Belfast (as was Bulla above). All thoroughly confusing and even more so if you look at the trees on ancestry ! Needs a more disciplined mind than mine to try and make sense of all these ?

Charlie

The one who died 1/7/1916 W J Buller  8858 Royal Irish Rifles is mentioned in the newspapers 6th September 1916.  His parents put a note in the paper as they were still waiting on news of what had happened to him. This gives their address as 24 Langford St Shankhill Road Belfast. He was born William John Bulla 13th April 1894 in Partick. Scotland to William John and Margaret Bulla. Father was a shipyard labourer. The other one born in Scotland was born 1892 in Dalziel. Neither are on 1901 or 1911 Scottish Census.

Many thanks to Charlie, Mark and David for your interesting and informative replies. Sorry for my delay in replying. My less than two year old computer had crashed yet again. A long saga of woes!

Pere