Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Demetri Paul Georgiou branch of the service is he from?

Demitri_Paul_Giorgiou.jpeg.1d064a5a20643c2891366a6f2245c296.jpegI am researching genealogy of my family.  I came across a photo of my great Uncle Dimitri Georgiou.  I believe this is a picture of Demitri from the 1st world war or the Balkan war.  Here is his picture.  the epauletts look like he may be from the infantry as it shows baton and sword and a circular design and baton and sword with 2 lines under it.  I would love to know if anyone can help me to identify

what part of the service he was in and what the rank is on his epaulets.

As a side note he had a necklace threaded into his pocket.  I was wondering if this is somewhat of a reminder of his loved one at home.

He's clearly in the Greek Army (which I'm guessing you already knew from your family history, and of course his name). I'm not an expert, but I think rank insignia for other ranks was shown on the cuffs, and as he has none this would indicate a private soldier. What you see as crossed baton and sword with two lines beneath on the epaulettes looks to me more like 'XII' in roman numerals, and the crossed design beneath that might be two canon barrels, which would indicate that he was in the artillery rather than infantry. The 'XII' might represent a military fortmation, such as a division. But as I say, I'm not an expert. The necklace in hsi pocket is probably a decorative chain for a pocket watch, which may well have been given to him as a keepsake.

Thank you for your response.  It has been a big issue through research as there has been conflicting views that my family was Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, Romanian or Albanian.

I realize that they lived during the Ottoman Empire and was told by one family member that he is Macedonian to the core.   I appreciate your help in this matter.  This is so very interesting to me.