Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arabic man serving in Durham Light Infantry

toofatfortakeoff

Samuel Saeed

Durham Light Infantry 73061/327133

he was sergeant instructor in the school of musketry at Barton Upon Humber. I’m not sure if he was of Arabic descent-any people with Durham’s interest might know more, he kept a diary and I’m wondering if it survived. Any further details would be most welcome-thanks Sean 

8937F657-785B-4674-A266-53AA957B9481.jpeg

20F684D3-A9CF-4D45-8F68-8632DA94090B.jpeg

Per his medal roll and card he was discharged to commission 28/1/18  and on his MIC shows he also qualified for the GSM with NW Persia clasp, so there in the period 10 August to 31 December 1920. There should be a surviving officers record for him. Seeing a couple of Samuel Saeeds on the 1911 census - one aged 14 (Wetheral) and one aged 18  (Croydon) - both born Hamadan (Hamedan) Persia and both look to be school boarders - so most likely were sent to UK for schooling. The  older one shows up with some passenger movements in the 1930s to/from USA with a wife Charlotte and profession given as engineer. From that he comes up on a couple of public family trees on Ancestry. His wife was American, and he died in USA in 1978. He had a Presbyterian burial record, so possibly originally Christian Persian.  Also attached photo of him  -  in officer uniform and WW1 medal ribbons  - note  DLI cap badge - so pretty sure that's your man!

31794_221572-00635.jpg

a0c7c136-fdf8-46af-9343-524b1f9cd94d.jpg

Edited by david murdoch

He gets several hits in the newspaper archives (earliest being 1906) relating to studies and sport at Croydon High school for boys. Possibly at University when war broke out  - maybe at  Cambridge due to proximity to Barton. 

Edited by david murdoch

See TNA - click

Naturalised 1 Nov 1917

• 3 months later...
On 12/05/2019 at 15:21, david murdoch said:

Per his medal roll and card he was discharged to commission 28/1/18  and on his MIC shows he also qualified for the GSM with NW Persia clasp, so there in the period 10 August to 31 December 1920. There should be a surviving officers record for him. Seeing a couple of Samuel Saeeds on the 1911 census - one aged 14 (Wetheral) and one aged 18  (Croydon) - both born Hamadan (Hamedan) Persia and both look to be school boarders - so most likely were sent to UK for schooling. The  older one shows up with some passenger movements in the 1930s to/from USA with a wife Charlotte and profession given as engineer. From that he comes up on a couple of public family trees on Ancestry. His wife was American, and he died in USA in 1978. He had a Presbyterian burial record, so possibly originally Christian Persian.  Also attached photo of him  -  in officer uniform and WW1 medal ribbons  - note  DLI cap badge - so pretty sure that's your man!

31794_221572-00635.jpg

a0c7c136-fdf8-46af-9343-524b1f9cd94d.jpg

so I missed these repsonses. WOW sorry I had my notifications turned off THAT IS AWESOME such a shame years ago that none of the old boys mentioned him-I AM FOREVER INDEBTED FOR THIS THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. Now is it possible can I with credits use it on my blogsite..cheers Sean  

On 12/05/2019 at 21:54, corisande said:

See TNA - click

Naturalised 1 Nov 1917

thanks Coriande! 

Edited by toofatfortakeoff

and thank you David too very valuable stuff