Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hepititas and Units

paul ward

does anyone know when and where in ww1 hepititas was first seen and/0r became a problem maybe 1916 and if possible what medical uits where responsible for the 9th leicesters

tia

paul

Edited by paul ward
more specfic answer

The following is from the Wikipedia article on hepatitis:

"Given the poor sanitary conditions of war, infectious jaundice played a large role as a major cause of mortality among troops in the Napoleonic Wars, the American Revolutionary War, and both World Wars."

Ron

There is a special volume in the British Medical Official History series, Casualties and Medical Statistics, which has the following:

France 1914 (Aug-Nov) 94

1915 1492

1916 181

1917 944

1918 1269

Italy (Nov 17-Dec 18) 599

Salonika (Nov 15-16) 380

1917 320

1918 1416

Gallipoli 8030

Figures for other theatres are not given but those for Egypt & Palestine seem to have been negligible. I suspect that figures for Mesopotamia might have been fairly heavy, given the relatively poor sanitation in that theatre.

The death rate in France was about 1%.

There is another volume of the Medical OH, Diseases of the War. I don't have a copy but it may be worth hunting one down.

Ron

I think Maureene has it tagged in the Virtual Library subforum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11 May 2019 at 15:25, paul ward said:

does anyone know when and where in ww1 hepititas was first seen and/0r became a problem maybe 1916 and if possible what medical uits where responsible for the 9th leicesters 

tia

paul

9th Leicestershires were 37 Division to June 1916 then 21st Division. 48, 49 & 50 Field Ambulances, 63, 64 & 65 FAs respectivley.

Sick of the 9th Leicestershires fed back through the chain would have had a designated 'sick' CCS or possibly an 'Infectious' CCS.

Extracted these search hits from Medical Services OH VOL I; Diseases and Vol ? Pathology.

TEW

hep.jpg.32ec37fce0c177a9327f9637787c76a8.jpg