Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID of ADS; photo

TEW

Found this photo on Wellcome RAMC collection and as it's a cracking photo I'd like to know more on it, the more I look the more I see, Germans, Chaplins, wounded, dead?, bearers, ambulances etc.

Original with Museum of Military Medicine, contact link broken at present.

It may not be an ADS of course but it seems over staffed for RAP.

Better image available from Wellcome.

ads.jpg.79f43f5380dd245e81d02e6ec1e3e12d.jpg

Image Sourced from Wellcome Library, RAMC collection. RAMC/2005

The collection is simply a 'Pictorial History of the RAMC' and covers Crimean to WWII, there are other WWI photos but none with any details given.

Collection is here.

Other WWI photos. Here, Here and Here.   Any info on any of these I'd be glad to hear.

TEW

7 hours ago, TEW said:

Original with Museum of Military Medicine, contact link broken at present.

At the foot of the page here: 

https://museumofmilitarymedicine.org.uk/

The only link I could see comes up 'oops can't find that page'. There is a phone number but having looked through the collection I'm not sure they'll have more info.

Thanks though.

TEW

• Admin

"It's Only Me" gives the picture as near Tilloy, 10/4/17. The Rev T B Hardy is stood by the canvas shelter attached to the building. 

Michelle 

Many thanks Michelle, following your ID I found another image of the same ADS taken from different angle. Also gleaned background on Hardy so will be delving more into the image.

Thanks

TEW

PS. Had to Google 'it's only me', not a source I've come across before.

Feuchy Chapel ADS?

TEW

Does the line of horse drawn ambulances suggest tat there is a battle going on near by and they are waiting in line to evacuate the wounded.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Does the line of horse drawn ambulances suggest tat there is a battle going on near by and they are waiting in line to evacuate the wounded.

As the date is given as 10th April 1917, it would suggest so. 

I'd guess the German POWs also suggest ongoing battle. If it is 37 Division, Feuchy Chapelle ADS and April 1917 then Medical Services; General History mentions the ADS having to wait for vehicles to get up to evacuate wounded. The visible ambulances may not have been viable for evacuation. Could be why there's a lot of RAMC sitting & waiting.

TEW

• Admin

It's the second day of the battle of Arras. 

Have checked a few diaries and it certainly has to be between 9th and 12th April 1917. Also looked at some maps and Feuchy, Feuchy Chapelle seem unlikely so Tilloy it is; Sheet 51b.H.31.c/d. Seems as though caption in 'It's only me' supplied by Michelle is correct.

Found another image of same ADS with Hardy here.

According to ADMS 37th Div diary the ADS site near Tilloy was not chosen till around midday 10/4/1917 and not set up until circa 4.15pm. Diary for 48th FA is missing the crucial pages!!, 49FA & 50FA add little.

TEW

Edit

The original image I put up is IWM Q3216. There are others of the same location, all taken by Ernest Brooks.

Slight possibility it may be Bois de Boeufs ADS.

Edited by TEW
Correction