Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to find where Pals are buried, memorialized

andigger

I am also going to search the Forum for clues, but I thought I'd also ask for a little help. In preperation fo rmy trip this spring I just finished rereading Lyn MacDonald's 1915. Part of the value of her work, I think, is they way she blends personal accounts into the events.

Now one of the things I want to do is visit either the graves or memorials where some of the men she quotes from are remembered. I am not sure how to determine this though. For example, Capt Bryden McKinnell, 10th Scottish Bn, King's Liverpool Regiment (TF), 2 Brigade, 1st Division. He was killed wile trying to recapture Bellewaerde Ridge which was part of a diversionry attack from Givenchy.

I have this much information, so it doesn't seem like it shoudl eb too difficult. I'm just not sure where to start. Thanks, Andy

Andy

When using the search facility on the CWGC site do not try to complete every item of information. Less is more.

This particularly applies to the spelling of the surname. Use the wild card if you don't succeed at first - eg ste*ens if you are unsure if it is Stevens or Stephens.

There are many other tricks if you get stuck. Give me a shout if needed.

Thanks! I've been able to find them all so far, just a couple of questions though:

On the Menin Gate, when it says someone is on several panels why would that be? For example,

1 WOODROFFE, SIDNEY CLAYTON Second Lieutenant 30/07/1915 19 Rifle Brigade United Kingdom Panel 46 - 48 and 50. YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Also... there are two men who die together in MacDonald's book, long story short they are in capture trenches and being wounded they are left behind when the other men in the troop are marched to the rear. One is memorialized on the Menin Gate and the other at Roeselar Communal Cem. I am sure there are many possible reasons for this, might it be that one was rescued by the Germans taken to medical help and died in Roeselar. The other already being dead when the first was rescued was left and his body never found?

Andy

On the Menin Gate, when it says someone is on several panels why would that be? For example,

1 WOODROFFE, SIDNEY CLAYTON Second Lieutenant 30/07/1915 19 Rifle Brigade United Kingdom Panel 46 - 48 and 50. YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

The panels quoted are for the whole Regiment, so in this case he will be on one of the panels from 46-48 or number 50.

Ken

Andy

Ken is quite correct about the panels.

The name on the Memorial means that the body was never found OR found but not identified and buried as an 'Unknown'.

Bodies buried in makeshift graves were moved after the war and concentrated in proper cemeteries. It would be quite feasable for two bodies buried near each other to be recovered and only one identified.

There could be many other reasons - and I am sure you will have fun trying to find out the real reason!!! :D