Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers R.O.D.

Woodsc

Hi

Calling all Royal Engineers experts.

I am currently researching the soldiers on one of my local memorials and currently looking at a soldier who served with the Royal Engineers.

He was Spr. Charles Ogg  (256052 ~ WR268796) died in February 1919 and is buried  Beaulencourt British Cemetery, Ligny-Thilloy. He obviously served with the Railway Operating Division (Waterways & Railways)
Could anyone give any guidance as to the possible Company he may have served with taking into consideration where he now rests (Ligny-Thilloy) and possibly his service number etc. Looking at his

MIC and his medal awards it would appear he didn't enter the TOW until 1916 onwards.

I recognise I have not provided a lot of background information but I'm struggling. If I could find what company he served with I could reference the war diaries and possibly build a bigger history on him.

Any help appreciated or if you could possibly steer me to other information resources. I know there is an informative book out there on the RE ROD but its very hard to locate a copy.

Thank You

Colin

• Admin

Assuming this is Charles Albert Ogg b.1892 he appears in the Trade Union records for 1915 as a member of the National Union Of Railwaymen and was employed as a shunter at Frodingham in Lincolnshire.

CWGC lists his unit as '21 L.R.C.' (Graves Registration), or 21 Light Railway Company (their war diary does not appear to have survived).  

Soldiers effects shows he died at 43 CCS https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/bfa6cbd6a6e54d1b9d3f114ac7278746

which was at Beaulencourt in February 1919 (LLT)  (Influenza?)

That would seem to suggest 21 LRC was operating around the Pas de Calais Region at the time of his death.  

I'd estimate he was called up for service early in 1917 and would have gone to France a month or so after call up after completing trade tests etc.

There is a record of a marriage in the first quarter of 1917 at Glanford Brigg Lincolnshire

Craig's calculator would give a more accurate enlistment date. 

Ken

Hi Colin,

The RE Museum appear to have a summary diary for a short period...

image.png.1e60ca29ebe43ec833090b1a49322417.png

Image source - RE Museum

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:18, kenf48 said:

Assuming this is Charles Albert Ogg b.1892 he appears in the Trade Union records for 1915 as a member of the National Union Of Railwaymen and was employed as a shunter at Frodingham in Lincolnshire.

CWGC lists his unit as '21 L.R.C.' (Graves Registration), or 21 Light Railway Company (their war diary does not appear to have survived).  

Soldiers effects shows he died at 43 CCS https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/bfa6cbd6a6e54d1b9d3f114ac7278746

That would seem to suggest 21 LRC was operating around the Pas de Calais Region at the time of his death.  

I'd estimate he was called up for service early in 1917 and would have gone to France a month or so after call up after completing trade tests etc.

There is a record of a marriage in the first quarter of 1917 at Glanford Brigg Lincolnshire

Ken

Hi Ken

Sorry for the delay in replying just viewed you your response.

Thank You for providing this information it is very helpful ~ I was aware he worked on the railway as did his brother. I had looked at the Soldiers effects register and it would appear there are two registers relating to him ~ the one I viewed makes no reference to 43 CCS  but his service numbers 256052 WR268796, date of death and wife all tie up.

Do you think  the records held at the NA which you have referenced  may record Charles Ogg admission details ~ I have never viewed this type of record before.

Many Thanks once again your help is appreciated

Colin

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:12, clk said:

Hi Colin,

The RE Museum appear to have a summary diary for a short period...

image.png.1e60ca29ebe43ec833090b1a49322417.png

Image source - RE Museum

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank You for taking the time to respond and providing the information ~ I'll have a look at the RE Museum website at the diaries

Colin

Hi Colin,

Unfortunately, the diaries themselves aren't digitalised and available to view online. The listing is just for diaries in their holding.

Regards

Chris

• Admin

The CCS Diary may indicate his death but is unlikely to mention him by name, nor is it likely to show his admission as they were kept in a separate register.

It's probably on Ancestry but since they changed the keyword search I can't find it.

Ken

21 LRC Coy was formed in England and embarked for France on 27 March 1917.

The Company strength was 3 Officers and 264 men.

His number indicates he enlisted sometime in November/ December 1916.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

All.

Just wanted to Thank You all for your feedback and snips of information which has helped with my research.

Colin

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:18, kenf48 said:

Ken

Hi Ken

You reference Charles Albert Ogg appears in the trade union records for 1915 ~  may I please ask is there any reference to him working for the Great Central Railway?

Thank You

Colin 

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Woodsc said:

Hi Ken

You reference Charles Albert Ogg appears in the trade union records for 1915 ~  may I please ask is there any reference to him working for the Great Central Railway?

Thank You

Colin 

As in my post merely states he was a shunter at Frodingham which according to Wikipedia was part of Great Central Railway at one time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frodingham_railway_station

Sorry not an expert

Ken