Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh regiment another double mystery man

BIFFO

so here I go again,

I have a  15 trio for George Pullin service number 1803

went to France 29 November 14. died at home 28 June 1916

cwgc says he was in the 3rd battalion,a well known site says he was in the 2nd battalion ?his mic and medal roll neither say

I THINK he was a casualty in the battle of loos,he mysteriously dies at home living at 43 Seymour st mountain ash, buried in mountain ash cemetery.

in the 1911 census a boarder single and aged 36

IF he was a casualty at the battle of loos say from gas, why death at home, you would have thought he would be treated and when stable discharged and sent home. 

I started to look at the wd for the 2nd battalion BUT after looking at the cwgc im not sure ,

Edited by BIFFO

He was most probably evacuated to the UK for further treatment, soldiers in such cases were posted to, and taken on strength of, the depot battalion, in this case the 3rd Bn.

Charlie

The medal roll states cause of death as "pulmonary tuberculosis". I agree with Charlie. Medal rolls just show 2nd Battn for his overseas service. The 3rd never left the UK

Soldiers Effects . George died at Bangor Military Hospital 28/6/1916, Tubercular. No Battalion recorded.  Find my Past has: Admitted No 3 General Hospital -Le Theport   12/5/15  GSW Hand Serving 2nd Battalion Welsh Regiment.

Bob

thank you Charlie so ok are you saying he went to France with 2nd battalion,if wounded at loos,brought home depot battalion 3rd,which would make sense in a way this is why cwgc has him down as the 3rd 

Hi

Register of Soldiers Effects says that he died at Bangor Military Hospital of tuberculosis. So Charlies is probably right evacuated and posted to the Depot Battalion. 

Edited by John Beech

Just now, BIFFO said:

thank you Charlie so ok are you saying he went to France with 2nd battalion,if wounded at loos,brought home depot battalion 3rd,which would make sense in a way this is why cwgc has him down as the 3rd 

Yes thats right

:thumbsup:

Problem here Biffo is that there are records of a GSW in May 1915 and then his death from pulmonary tuberculosis in June 1916. Nothing in between the two dates. However, there are forum posts that indicate gas injuries could lead to a later death from tuberculosis. It remains possible that he didn't rejoin his unit after the May 1915 GSW injury.

I did a fair bit of paid research for 2nd Welsh at Loos, I believe off hand their official diary is rather odd in as much as times etc don't tally with Division, Brigade flanking units etc. Someone has underlined a lot of it in red pen with question marks (possibly Marden himself) . Again off hand but I think they were in reserve so were not in the front line when the gas blew back on everyone. Having said that, part of the research I did was on a 2/Welsh Regt man who did die of gas. Actually one of a very small group who actually died on or near the battlefield of gas. (I think only about 9 men?).

Conjecture on my part but possibly the heavier than air gas had settled in trenches, shell holes, dugouts etc where men took shelter.

The Medical big wigs at the time put the gas problem down to hysteria and panic and issued orders during the day that men coming in 'gassed' were not to be entered in the books as injured/wounded but as sick. Thereby avoiding a statistic of over 1000 men wounded by British gas who might have been discharged with pension 'caused by or attributable to war'. Most of those reporting in sick who had come from the front line pre-attack were found to have little or no symptoms apparently.

TEW

thank you for your information,2nd batt war diary man the chap who wrote it has terrible hand writing even worse than mine and that's saying some thing :w00t:

I think he also wrote it up from memory much later and had a rather poor memory!

A few Loos Gas statistics I gleaned from past notes.

950 British gas casualties mainly 2nd & 1st Brigade of 1st Division seen at medical posts within hours of attack. 3rd Brigade (2/Welsh) in reserve 2500 metres west of gas release somehow failed to receive messages sent at 7am ish until nearly midday.

1918 study of the gas issues 25/9/15 identified 2632 'gassed' men but only 7 fatalities directly linked to the gas.

TEW

15 hours ago, TEW said:

However, there are forum posts that indicate gas injuries could lead to a later death from tuberculosis.

Biffo,

Have a read of my post #5 in that thread.

A lot of soldiers were gassed in the war. Lots got TB, lots didn't.

Many more soldiers weren't gassed. Lots got TB, lots didn't.

As for civilians back home, none of whom were gassed, lots got TB, lots didn't.

There is no published proven link between gassing and TB that I have been able to find. Both were very common and lots of people assume there must be a link , even causality. That might be the case, it's just not been demonstrated.

Leaving that aside, as you know, if a soldier died of TB, and this was caused by, or aggravated by military service, then that soldier should be commemorated by CWGC. Many still aren't.

Likewise if they got TB that was caused or aggravated by Military Service, and they survived, they could apply for an army pension.

Yes Dyfed,I have looked at your post and opened the link,im going for aggravated by gas,I did get a little confused by died at home thinking Ferndale actualy home as in uk.

Thank you all for your help,llots of facts about George in family trees on a well know family research site ANCE :w00t:

now this chaps gone to ground in 1901 Welsh or English census

I have traced him 1861-1871-1881-1891-1911

but for the life of me I cannot find him in either 1901 Wales or English census

he was born Marshfield Gloucester 1858  moves to chipping Sodbury 1891 in mountain ash 1911.

he went to France 2nd batt Welsh regiment 29 November 1914,so maybe he is in the army as he went to France November he must have had some military training, have had this before

any census sleuths  out there :whistle:

:poppy:

9 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

he was born Marshfield Gloucester 1858  moves to chipping Sodbury 1891 in mountain ash 1911.

he went to France 2nd batt Welsh regiment 29 November 1914,so maybe he is in the army as he went to France November he must have had some military training, have had this before

1901 possibly with 2nd Battalion in India? Hence the gap and the previous training. 

1 hour ago, BIFFO said:

Are you sure you have the right man in the census? In your original post he was 36 in 1911. If he was born 1858 he would have been 56 in 1914.

Charlie

Yes Free BMD puts him as 43 at the time of death in Bangor in the June quarter of 1916, so puts year of birth as about 1873.

Edit: Nothing major ,but he had a 'Thank You' letter published in the Aberdare Leader in 1915.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3579590/3579597/114/pullin

Edit Edit:

Aberdare Leader 15/8/1914 writes of him joining up, quoting 12 years previous service in the Somerset Light Infantry:

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3579293/3579295/4/pullin

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Is this your man born Pontypridd registration area, dec qtr 1873, he is the only George Pullin born in England and Wales in that year. Info from FreeBmd.

Den

7 minutes ago, TTracer44 said:

Is this your man born Pontypridd registration area, dec qtr 1873, he is the only George Pullin born in England and Wales in that year. Info from FreeBmd.

Den

I don't think so.

The man quoted in the Aberdare Leader (15/8/1914) gives his address as 43 Seymour Street, Mountain Ash, the same address as in the 1911 Census in which he states his place of birth was Marshfield, Gloucestershire.

It is the correct man in the 1911 Census. He is a lodger but also in the household is Annie Lewis age 40. She is on the register is effects as the top claim. So this is why he returns to Mountain Ash to be buried, why I don't know as she is married to the head of the household. But she paid for the funeral. 

The co claim is uncle Albert Pullin. Follow Albert up for the Pullin family.  

Further EDIT Albert paid more but "Grandmother" also noted????

Edited by Scalyback

thank you AGAIN,yes Dyfed that's the correct man

Rhydian again the correct man,the thing II still don't get,his  wife  death 1905,in 1891 he's a publican in Aston Turville, Chipping Sodbury,his disappearance from the 1901 could be when he is in Somerset light infantry ?,  he may have gone to India with the 2nd,will look in the history of the welsh regiment to see if I can find anythin

Den thank you for your help, BUT like me on many occasions your barking up the wrong tree :w00t:

I have his social life will assume he`s in the army 1901ish

Edited by BIFFO

Welsh 1st Battalion 1900-1904 various parts of SA. 

Welsh 2nd Battalion 1892-1906 Madras, India. 

Somerset Light Infantry 1st Battalion 1893-1908 India. 

Somerset Light Infantry 2nd Battalion 1899-1903 South Africa. 

So either regiment or battalion will not be on the census. A further thought from that, was he a volunteer for SA? I think Brecon has the muster books for the Welsh volunteers.

There is a George PullEn birth at Chipping Sudbury Dec 1872- 6a 183

Not unusual to be misspelt in this era.

Den