Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DNW

bif

Auction tomorrow and Thursday.  Aprox 1600 lots.  Many Indian and Gurkha.

Small point, but do you mean DNW? Dix Noonan & Webb?

Ron

Yes  Ron.  It's the haze from all the medications.

Chaz, as long as they're NOT Seaforth related you are safe.  Good luck.

Edited by bif

• bif changed the title to DNW

Anyone successful in the first 800 lots today ?

Dear All with John and David,

Do not over-bid on the one I want. That's an Order! Well, okay, belay that Order.

I will tell you who he was after the Auction. I made a (for me) hefty bid, but it is unwise to go too high, because then one ends up with a huge bill to pay - medals here, medals there.

Apropos bids: can someone tell me what sort of collector can afford to pay, say 84 thousand for a decoration plus three common medals? Just a thought...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All with John and David,

Do not over-bid on the one I want. That's an Order! ell, okay, belay that Order.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

No worries Kim my bidding is strictly in my mind.

23 hours ago, bif said:

Looks like I was successful today, on checking my account.

Mandy

0/2 today, still hurting from last weeks mess up.

buyer beware, make sure its what you expect....

Dear All,

I unfortunately missed out on Capt Daniel Vincent McCollum, IARO, by twenty quid. Damn!

However, for the lucky bidder of 320 Pounds, plus add-ons, I will be happy to beam him information I had found out about the capable D. V. McCollum...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I got a nice group :) 

Dear Coldstreamer,

Lucky you!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Afternoon all

Would be very interested if anybody knows the whereabouts of Lot 57.

These are the medals of George Bullimore, my Grandfather and alas I missed the fact that they were at auction.

Any info appreciated.

Best regards 

Simon Bullimore

• Admin
12 minutes ago, spbullimore said:

Afternoon all

Would be very interested if anybody knows the whereabouts of Lot 57.

These are the medals of George Bullimore, my Grandfather and alas I missed the fact that they were at auction.

Any info appreciated.

Best regards 

Simon Bullimore

Simon

Welcome to the forum

Have you tried asking DNW to pass a message to the successful bidder?

Also if you haven't already I suggest posting on this forum's seeking family medals section https://britishmedalforum.com

Good luck!

David

12 minutes ago, spbullimore said:

Afternoon all. Would be very interested if anybody knows the whereabouts of Lot 57. These are the medals of George Bullimore, my Grandfather and alas I missed the fact that they were at auction.Any info appreciated. Best regards  Simon Bullimore

Simon, if you haven't done so already, DNW will forward your request to their buyer. Obviously it is then up to the new owner as to whether they will reply to you. John

Thanks for your advice Gents. Really appreciated.

I have asked DNW but feared that they wouldn't divulge. Sounds as if they are helpful which is good news.

Will await their reply.

Thanks again

Simon

On 08/05/2019 at 16:52, bif said:

Lot 575 (AE Jones - Tank Corps) and Lot 585 - 4 x IGSM (incl one to Kurram Militia)

Regards

Dear All (and John),

The successful bidder for the Capt D. V. McCollum, IARO, group, has now sold the group to me. I have since found out that the War and ISM are possibly spurious - but his 15 Trio and the GSM IRAQ (Capt., IARO) are interesting, inasmuch as he became a Political.

His main claim to fame was his handling of the visit to London of the nephew of the Sheikh of Kuwait - a long story...

Kindest regards,

Kim.401652434_DNWscanof15TrioGSMgroup.jpg.defce3f8070b9d3394c8cf8844903b4f.jpg126894949_DetailsofMcCollumsappointments.jpg.f8e1b348771e4b75c4a65adf824efb93.jpg 

3 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

The successful bidder for the Capt D. V. McCollum, IARO, group, has now sold the group to me.

Congratulations Kim

• 10 months later...

Dear All,

I subsequently secured McCollum's WWII papers - and to my disgust, ascertained that the War and India Service Medal 1939-45 are indeed spurious!

His Service would have, at most, attracted a Defence Medal. 

Having said that, his Great War IARO Service was - for such a junior Officer - outstanding: performing the onerous duties of a Political Officer.

While obviously preferable to being Under Fire in any number of Theatres of War, his appointment called for great tact and a certain intellectual ability...

I assume the spurious two medals were added-on by an over-zealous former owner.

Ideally, McCollum's 15 Star Trio and GSM clasp IRAQ, should be re-mounted as such. However, I will leave As Is, seeing as the Group is now under glass and integrated with an Image of a partly-obscured McCollum_small.jpg.05a3f5abd90b8284e6dff874684a4ec7.jpgMcCollum, his wife (soon to die in childbirth), and sundry Arab and British notables.

Kindest regards,

Kim.