Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Button Stick

john ring

Hello forum :- Inside a book , in a box of jumble bought at a car boot sale , i discovered a brass button stick .

Machine stamped on one arm is the regiment and number ...... R.A.M.C ...... 6529 ..... MY guess is royal army medical corps ?

Marked with maker's name " Bodill Parker & Co Limited Manufacturers & Contractors , Birmingham .

It would be nice to put the owner's name to this artifact , but i have no idea how to ?  Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated , or any details on the person who owned it would be even better ...... Many thanks ....... John

My first pass would be to visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org) to determine whether he died in the war.

Otherwise, if in UK, visit your local public library to look up the service number on Ancestry.

Regards,

JMB

[edit: note that you are not in UK; perhaps you can still access Ancestry].

Edited by JMB1943

9 hours ago, john ring said:

Hello forum :- Inside a book , in a box of jumble bought at a car boot sale , i discovered a brass button stick .

Machine stamped on one arm is the regiment and number ...... R.A.M.C ...... 6529 ..... MY guess is royal army medical corps ?

Marked with maker's name " Bodill Parker & Co Limited Manufacturers & Contractors , Birmingham .

It would be nice to put the owner's name to this artifact , but i have no idea how to ?  Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated , or any details on the person who owned it would be even better ...... Many thanks ....... John

Hi,

Find my past have two records for 6529, Royal Army Medical Corps; One is a red herring, an Artilleryman poorly indexed.

The other is for a man named Clare Frank Codling. Born 1893. New Lakenham, Norfolk.   Parents. Frank and Ellen Maud, two brothers, Francis(Frank)  and Henry (Harry),  and five sisters, Ellen B.,  Florence M., Elizabeth V., Martha A., and Ethel M. 

Enlisted  28/6/1912 and was discharged 31/8/1912; "unlikely to become an efficient soldier". 

An outward  passenger list from 1913 shows him sailing for Portland, Oregon.

Edited by GWF1967

This officer has a cryptic note "Former reference in its original department: 6529" and may well be another red herring, as I don't know what that reference means:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C670915

Edited by seaJane
typo

3 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

My first pass would be to visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC.org) to determine whether he died in the war.

Otherwise, if in UK, visit your local public library to look up the service number on Ancestry.

Regards,

JMB

[edit: note that you are not in UK; perhaps you can still access Ancestry].

Hello :- Thanks for the reply . i searched the war graves site as you kindly suggested . 147 died in ww1 with that service number 145 in the army and 2 in the navy , but no-one in the RAMC with that number died ...... so that is a blank !!!

40 minutes ago, seaJane said:

This officer has a cryptic note "Former reference in its original department: 6529" and may well be another red herring, as I don't know what that reference means:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C670915

Hello :- Thanks for the reply . So it seems there are two possible owner's & no way of proving one over the other . Mmmmmmm !!! . Maybe some things are destined to remain unknown !

It is a nice artifact anyway and would be better having a definite name to go with it , but it will join my other ww1 bits & bobs that i have gathered over the years !!!

Many thanks for all your replies ...... you're the BEST !!!

It is unlikely that an officer would have a button stick, as a batman or servant would do his brasses, and officers did not have numbers in WW1.  I think seaJane’s number is for a file reference.

D

Thanks for clearing that up, daggers. I did think it might be a red herring!

Thanks for the replies guys . So if the liet. is ruled out as Dagger's suggested officers did not have a number then that leaves Mr Coding as suggested by GWF 1967

Even though he was in the army less than two months before been drummed out . Thanks guys ..... you're the BEST