Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Garelochhead War Memorial

mbriscoe

Full set on FLICKR

Garelochhead Parish Church and War Memorial

Garelochhead, Old School Road, Church
Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)
Site Name Garelochhead, Old School Road, Church
Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Garelochhead Village, Garelochhead Church With Boundary Wall And Gatepiers; War Memorials
Canmore ID 160382
Site Number NS29SW 17
NGR NS 23945 91166
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink <a href="http://canmore.org.uk/site/160382" rel="noreferrer nofollow">canmore.org.uk/site/160382</a>

05-JMB_25_04_2019_09_52_09_0002739003.JPG.7ac59ecfbc007e52f6b863638e0693a6.JPG03-JMB_25_04_2019_09_50_38_0002739203.JPG.74be4aa7a99d22428291e4d975372841.JPG01-JMB_25_04_2019_09_47_46_0002739603.JPG.4a194a91cf12e6e973e0bde4b4af9067.JPG

There is also a memorial beside the cemetery, to the men who died in a submarine sinking in the loch nearby.

Edited by healdav

Which submarine was that?

I have photographed the K13 memorial in Faslane Cemetery but did not know there was another in the area.

1 hour ago, mbriscoe said:

Which submarine was that?

I have photographed the K13 memorial in Faslane Cemetery but did not know there was another in the area.

I remember the one in Faslane Cemetery which I must have seen but don't remember. There is another K13 memorial in Glasgow which I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen.

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA00913

RM

I knew there was around Clydebank but also not seen it.

I was photographing the HMS THETIS memorial last week, it is the anniversary of the loss in a few weeks' time.

17 hours ago, rolt968 said:

I remember the one in Faslane Cemetery which I must have seen but don't remember. There is another K13 memorial in Glasgow which I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen.

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA00913

RM

I meant the Faslane cemetery, just across the road from the back entrance to the Base. I think they now take care of it.

When I was at the Base, there was a perpetual mystery that on the anniversary of the tragedy, a wreath always appeared on the memorial. Then someone from the Base waited overnight, and discovered that it was a member of the crew who had not been aboard that day (Captain's steward doing some shopping). Ever since he had been laying a wreath on the date. He had paid for his own travel, hotel, wreath, etc. Naturally, when they found out what and who it was, the RN gave him a rail warrant, and accommodation in the Base, ad laid their own wreath as well.

Yes I heard the story about the man laying the wreath from a friend who had a son in RN.  She said when they noticed the wreath, a couple of sailors were sent to wait by the cemetery at the next anniversary and find who it was.  I think they met him and give him hospitality after that.

I had photographed the graves some time ago for the WGPP though it was a very wet day.  A lady in Australia contacted me, one of those killed was a relative and she asked if you could use the picture in her family history files.  I went down and got some new pictures in decent weather.

21 hours ago, mbriscoe said:

Yes I heard the story about the man laying the wreath from a friend who had a son in RN.  She said when they noticed the wreath, a couple of sailors were sent to wait by the cemetery at the next anniversary and find who it was.  I think they met him and give him hospitality after that.

I had photographed the graves some time ago for the WGPP though it was a very wet day.  A lady in Australia contacted me, one of those killed was a relative and she asked if you could use the picture in her family history files.  I went down and got some new pictures in decent weather.

Yes, it was in 1969/70.