Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eric Thorpe 1/5 Lincolnshire Regiment

AlanCrax

This man, Private 238009,  from Leicester born about 1895 enlisted shortly after his marriage. There are record transcripts to say that he "died of wounds" on October 18th 1918 and is commemorated in the Vadencourt British Cemetery, Maissemy, France.

Is it possible to estimate where his battalion / regiment would have been in action around that time and where he might have sustained his wounds?

Many thanks

Alan

(His wife was particularly unlucky in love. She remarried in 1919. Her second husband died in suddenly 1920. She married again (to her second husband's brother in 1929 but in after  three marriages she remained childless) 

Thank you David

I will certainly have a look at that

I haven't seen it available on Ancestry.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

13 hours ago, AlanCrax said:

I haven't seen it available on Ancestry

On Ancestry, October 1918 starts here. As his Soldiers' Effects record says that he died in the care of 61 Casualty Clearing Station, the events on the 17th might be a contender for his wounding - 17 ORs killed, 58 wounded.

He left a will, possibly just a few words - link. If needed, it looks like British War Graves could send you a digital image of his grave stone on a FOC basis.

Regards

Chris