Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel Rupert Henry Anderson-Morshead DSO Devons

David_Blanchard

I am trying to put together the first world war military career of Colonel R H Anderson-Morshead before his death at the Bois des Buttes on the 27 May 1918. I have an outline provided by Peter Hodgkinson from his Phd on Battalion Commanding Officers (see image) as well as a transcription of his file which I also enclose. But having trouble finding his DSO citation- LG supplement 18 Jan 1918- p88. Any help would be appreciated. 

I would also appreciate any information regarding his time spent with the 1 Devons and also with 1/5 Royal Lancaster Regiment.

Thanks

David 

Screenshot 2019-05-05 15.54.59.png

Screenshot 2019-05-05 16.17.47.png

IMG_6222.jpg

Edited by David_Blanchard
wrong order of files

ANDERSON-MORSHEAD, RUPERT HENRY, Capt (Acting Lieutenant Colonel), Dvonshire Regiment. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of his battalion in an attack. Though the troops on his left were held up his battalion captured and held an important tactical point. He showed great initiative and skill.

Steven,

I don’t suppose there is an indication of when this took place- I think it was most likely the attack of the 1 Devons on 4 October.

Hi David,

32 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

is an indication of when this took place

It looks to be for his actions on 6th November 1917.

image.png.3a9343cd6f59a1aab3202f502cb40d48.png

Image sourced from the National Archives

Regards

Chris

Hi David,

No problem. Whilst the award was announced in the LG supplement of 18.1.1918, the citation itself was published in the edition of 25.4.1918. The hand annotated version I posted is in the DSO register - p43/268 of this free download.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Again thanks for your help-all coming together very well - funny that he does  not appear to have won the MC. 

Have you had a look at his officer file?

Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Henry ANDERSON-MORSHEAD. The Devonshire Regiment.

War Office: Officers' Services, First World War, Long Number Papers (numerical). Officers Services (including Civilian Dependants and Military Staff Appointments): Long Service Papers. Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Henry ANDERSON-MORSHEAD. The Devonshire Regiment.

Held by: The National Archives, Kew - War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Date: 1905 - 1919
Reference: WO 339/6759
Subjects:

Armed Forces (General Administration) | Army | Conflict | Operations, battles and campaigns

If not, I would be happy to go through it the next time I am at Kew.  When I was a kid in Devonshire, the Bois des Buttes was well remembered- more than  the Devonshire Cemetery at Mametz. Nowadays, the memorial at Bois des Buttes is  pretty much anonymous  and well off the beaten track- anyone who gets that close to Rheims tends to head for the champagne and the cathedral.

There was some good coverage  in local papers on the 50th anniversary in 1968, including interviews with some of the survivors. Especially in "The Independent", the Sunday newspaper.

Edited by Guest

I think that is the file that is included in type above- a friend of mine typed this up a while back.

I am hoping to use the information on A-H to write a book on the Devons at the Bois des Buttes- I would be very interested if you still have any of the stories from 50th anniversary in 1968.

David 

David- An officer file should usually have more details than those recorded at the hea of this thread-often the original commission application. But it's worth a look- no sweat to look at a Devonshire item.

Alas, No as regards  50th anniversary-  I simply remember that it was featured. Wish you luck with Bois des Buttes-  Atkinson is especially dull on this and I found it hard going to get a grip on what happened.

I am trying to find out more about Rupert Anderson-Morshead’s brother- Raymond Yonge Anderson-Morshead- who was in the 4 Devonshire Regiment In 1911 Census- I have his mic which states he embarked for active service in Mesopotamia in the 4 Devonshires but cannot find him on British Army Lists which will tell me when he enlisted.

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks for your help - I would have thought there would have been more references to him on the LG

Hi David,

6 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

Raymond Yonge Anderson-Morshead- who was in the 4 Devonshire Regiment In 1911 Census- I have his mic which states he embarked for active service in Mesopotamia in the 4 Devonshires but cannot find him on British Army Lists which will tell me when he enlisted.

The December 1919 Army List shows...

image.png.2513dac12697baa381846d918738bd85.png

image.png.6c9ede3c8612a423afd4b58123c416ad.png

Images sourced from The National Library of Scotland

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hart's Army List for 1909 lists him as Lt. in 4th Battalion, The Devonshire Regt.,  date of promotion to Lt. 21 June 1905. 

The abbreviations shown in the images in Chris's post #16 are  -  p.s. = passed School of Instruction, (H) = qualified for appointment as Instructor of Musketry.

Hi HarryBrook,

15 minutes ago, HarryBrook said:

Hart's Army List for 1909 lists him as Lt. in 4th Battalion, The Devonshire Regt.,  date of promotion to Lt. 21 June 1905.

That's interesting. Is there an assumption to be made that he moved from the 3rd Volunteer Battalion (6 months after joining them) to the 4th Battalion wef 21st June 1905?

Regards

Chris

Edit:

Now I'm getting confused - easily done. As the 4th Bn was a TF unit, presumably it didn't exist pre April 1908. So, does the date of promotion possibly reflect when he was still with the 3rd VB, which was carried forward in to the 1909 list after creation of the 4th Bn from VB/militia units???

Edited by clk

No Chris, he was 3rd V.B. The Devonshire R. when he was promoted to Lt. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27817/page/4904 I presume he carried his rank over to 4th Bn. The Devonshire R. on the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908 (Will have a look).

Promoted to Capt., 4th Battalion The Devonshire R., 1 August 1909  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28292/page/7200

Awarded the Territorial Decoration 14 January 1920 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31733/supplement/679 heading on page 678

Placed on the Territorial Force Reserve, with the rank of Capt., 27 July 1920 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31993/supplement/7843

Relinquished his commission with permission to wear the prescribed uniform 30 September 1921 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32559/page/10577

Edit to add:- He was appointed to the 4th Battalion, Devonshire R., in the rank of Lt.,  from 3rd V.B. on 1 April 1908   https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32559/page/10577

Edited by HarryBrook

4 minutes ago, HarryBrook said:

No Chris, he was 3rd V.B. The Devonshire R. when he was promoted to Lt. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27817/page/4904 I presume he carried his rank over to 4th Bn. The Devonshire R. on the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908

Thanks very much HarryBrook. 

It's an area that I don't know much about, but that's what I was thinking too with my edit.

KR

Chris

Thanks guys- some interesting information. I have made an interesting breakthrough via Ancestry I have managed to find Rupert A-Hs niece - the daughter of his other brother Pentyre A-H. She is on holiday at present but she has a file on her uncle. I will keep you informed.

David