Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Memories of Paris 1914 to 1919'

agedpink1

Hi, I am researching Mary Vincent was known as 'The Soldiers Friend'. She was living in Paris during WW1 and between 1914 and 1919 (her husband Percy was the church organist for the British Embassy). She did a lot of work for soldiers from the Belper area  (where she was born) supplying them with comfort parcels  letters and contacting their families for them. She had a connection to the Red Cross. She also wrote a small book 'Memories of Paris 1914 to 1919' does anyone know where I can obtain an original copy?
Regards Richard
  •  

•  
  •  

Doesn't help you find the book but I see a good write up in the Derbyshire Times 1930 at the time of Percy's funeral. Photos of both Percy and Mary. No mention of her book.

Charlie

edit:  I see booklet was published 1935

Edited by charlie962

Thanks Charlie, Belper Historical Society have a transcript of the book but they don't have an original copy.

Regards Richard.

Nothing on the worldcat.org website. It must have been a very, very private publication!

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

a very, very private publication!

This article (FMP newspapers Belper News 17/5/1935) at the time of its publication 1935 refers to it as a booklet rather than a book and I imagine it was more for local Belper sales. So a copy may turn up in local RBL or even church records ?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

True, but the size of it shouldn't make any difference: if it was at all formally published, there should at least be a copy in the British Library.

I agree that, as you say, if it turns up anywhere it will be quite at random.

According to the Belper News 17th May 1935 the booklet was priced at 6d and sold via local churches and the Belper branch of the British Legion to whom she also gave a photograph of herself in a Red Cross nurses uniform. If the branch still exists it may be worth having a word with them to see if they retained a copy of the booklet. Perhaps you could also make an appeal through the local press to see if anyone has a copy. Might also be worth checking the local library if you haven't already done so or Derbyshire County Archives

I R

Edited by ilkley remembers