Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ribbon ID please

MaxD

Looking at the ribbons on the pic, the two on the right as we look at them are clearly Mutt and Jeff but I can't ID the one on the left.  The ID of the owner hangs on what it might be.  Help please?

Please ignore the one below..

Max

medals[1762].jpg

Looks like the 1911 Police Coronation Medal but I could be wrong.

Dave

Dave

I think you have got it, thank you.  There is a police connection which I need to tie down a bit further but it does make sense. Would you agree that the ribbons are upside down in that the BW should come first (left as we look) followed by V and then the (non-military) police medal.

Max

Yes

Dave

Here are a couple of WW1 groups which also have a 1911 Police Coronation Medal. This shows the correct order  they would be worn.

emotionheader5795303380.jpg

images.jpg

Indeed, thank you.  The relative who owned the ribbons did not appreciate things like the order of wear. I shall pass this pic on as a better illustration than I could find.

Thanks again

Max

On 01/05/2019 at 19:16, MaxD said:

Would you agree that the ribbons are upside down in that the BW should come first (left as we look) followed by V and then the (non-military) police medal.

I don't know if you have seen the BBC1 TV programme 'Ghosts' on Mondays 9.30pm, but there is an army officer character on there who wares a ribbon bar with a ww2 defence medal on the extreme left and 14/15 star on the extreme right (as viewed by another person facing). Obviously upside down - clearly a BBC wardrobe malfunction.

Alan.

1 hour ago, Alan24 said:

I don't know if you have seen the BBC1 TV programme 'Ghosts' on Mondays 9.30pm, but there is an army officer character on there who wares a ribbon bar with a ww2 defence medal on the extreme left and 14/15 star on the extreme right (as viewed by another person facing). Obviously upside down - clearly a BBC wardrobe malfunction.

Alan.

Happens so often on dramas. It drives me a little crackers as they strive for period detail then get something as easily researchable as that wrong. I suppose those not interested in medals just think the ribbons are applied randomly to look pretty! Wardrobe malfunction aside I am enjoying Ghosts, by the same team that made a lot of children interested in history through Horrible Histories.

Edited by trench whistle
spelling

19 hours ago, trench whistle said:

Wardrobe malfunction aside I am enjoying Ghosts, by the same team that made a lot of children interested in history through Horrible Histories.

I did notice that it was basically the horrible histories team as I've seen many episodes with my kids.

Unfortunately because of that, it felt like a children's programme...

Perhaps I should give it another go.

Regards

Alan 

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:38, Alan24 said:

I don't know if you have seen the BBC1 TV programme 'Ghosts' on  are the 1Mondays 9.30pm, but there is an army officer character on there who wares a ribbon bar with a ww2 defence medal on the extreme left and 14/15 star on the extreme right (as viewed by another person facing). Obviously upside down - clearly a BBC wardrobe malfunction.

Alan.

There's no 1914/15 Star - the ribbons (if read the correct way up) are the 1939/45 Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal and WW2 British War Medal. He also frequently has the belt buckled incorrectly, and the cross strap on back to front. Collar insignia should be bronzed, and his shoulder rank looks iffy as well. As TW said above, so easily got right:

Writer Laurence said it was fun to write the ghosts from different ages, pictured are two of the characters, as they have different sets of values based on their time periods

Edited by Andrew Upton

7 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

There's no 1914/15 Star - the ribbons (if read the correct way up) are the 1939/45 Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal and WW2 British War Medal. He also frequently has the belt buckled incorrectly, and the cross strap on back to front. Collar insignia should be bronzed, and his shoulder rank looks iffy as well. As TW said above, so easily got right:

Writer Laurence said it was fun to write the ghosts from different ages, pictured are two of the characters, as they have different sets of values based on their time periods

Andrew, you're absolutely right! Watched it last...

Wrote that post from my vague memory. Knew there was something red white and blue at the wrong end.

Sat there last night thinking I must correct that post...you beat me to it.

Regards

Alan