Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record Interpretation

KONDOA

Evening Chums,

Would appreciate information regarding the vessels listed for the WW1 period and any other analysis of this record regarding , rank, conduct etc etc.

Thank you for any contributions.

Roop

As far as the rates go he joined as a Boy 2nd Class, then Boy 1st Class, Ordinary Seaman, Able Seaman, Petty Officer 2nd Class and after serving at HMS Excellent the gunnery school, Petty Officer 1st Class.

His conduct was variable in his early career VG being the bog standard but it seems to read G only. He was'nt 'Second class for conduct' at any time.

I believe Pembroke was the Chatham victualling ship so he may have served on others during that time.

I'll try and find the other ships he was on.

Davie.

Hi Rupert,

Thanks for sending me the scan of Wm McDonald's SR.

Here is some of the interpretation of the entries thereon:

Upper right hand corner "Gunnery Engagements" : He was rated as an Acting Seaman Gunner - 1 Nov 1879; qualified as a Seaman Gunner 1st Class on 1 March '84; he then qualified as a Seaman Gunner qualified in Torpedos (1st Class) on 1 May '85 - & this would be that rate badge we spoke of in earlier correspondence. I cannot make out the entry just before this one - it looks like ? G & the date - possibly Seaman Gunner again, requalifying.

His promotions are unusually quick - AB - 1 June '79; then skips Leading Seaman (that is unusual) & gets promoted to PO2 - 30 Jan '83; then PO1 on 22 Nov 84 so he must have had something on the ball to get promoted this quickly.

As Davie mentioned his conduct rating was Exemplary & Very Good all thru his career with no infractions or cells. The notation Davie thought was "G only" actually is "T only" & means Time only - he was just putting in time awaiting his next draft & was not being assesed for conduct at this ship - usually its at a receiving ship or depot/base, or at the end of a ship's commission.

I'll continue when I get a little more time..........

Bryan