Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CSM FIELDER 1/9 London Regt

per ardua per mare per terram

Hi

I am researching 1231 Cecil Buckler FIELDER of 1/9 London Regt, his mic records that he entered France on 4/11/14 as a corporal and by the time of his death on 1/7/16 had been promoted to WOII. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

I'm intrigued that he was given permanent rank as most soldiers that I have seen with battlefield promotions only received acting or temporary rank. The exceptions have usually been in recognition of notable conduct, early in the war before the MC or MM had been introduced. My assumption is that FIELDER was with Lt Geoffrey Harold WOOLLEY on Hill 60, in April 1915 and was promoted for his conduct there.

Is there any way in finding out his company, the names of the people on Hill 60 or finding when he was promoted to warrant rank? Does anyone know of any references to him? From the regimental history I found that the CSM of A Company survived, which leaves B, C or D Companies.

Fred

On another thread, I have seen a reference to the Thiepval database, is FIELDER on it?

Fred

Yes FIELDER is on the database but we only have basic information and a photograph all taken from the book "Portraits of Lloyd's men whose names appear on the Lloyds War Memorial". If its any help we'll sent you a copy of the relevant record.

Ken Linge