Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying entitlement to a Star?

adam1981

Hello,

I am researching a T4/064368 Frederick Jupe ASC who dies of meningitis in January 1915 in France. I can see he is entitled to a pair, however can not find the Star entitlement (14 or 14/15). I believe Star's had to be claimed so maybe it was never claimed? but i am also aware it isnt uncommon to have the star under a different surname or even some other unit such as Red Cross?

any help would be great.

• Admin

Interestingly the MIC for Frederick G Jupe T4/064368 doesn't have a date of entry into the Theatre on it, which would normally suggest an entry after December 1915 - hence no star. However CWGC does indeed have a T F G Jupe of that same number died as you say January 30th 1915 which would normally entitle him to a Star. I do not believe they had to be claimed by the soldier or relative.

A search of the MICs for Arthur Bridge T4/064366 and Louis Mirams T4/064369 show both with the 1915 star entitlement and date of entry into France of 28/5/1915 and 30/8/1915 respectively so the plot thickens!

Interestingly his effects record has his name as Frederick George F Jupe. - died of meningitis. There seems to be a variety of names for him in various places all linked to the same service number. I am wondering where CWGC got the "T" from though.... perhaps a mistake?

Also from the effects his beneficiaries appear to be his mother, 2 brothers and 8 sisters!

Looks just like the puzzle the forum members love to solve, let's hope someone can!

Good luck

David

49 minutes ago, adam1981 said:

Hello,

I am researching a T4/064368 Frederick Jupe ASC who dies of meningitis in January 1915 in France. I can see he is entitled to a pair, however can not find the Star entitlement (14 or 14/15). I believe Star's had to be claimed so maybe it was never claimed? but i am also aware it isnt uncommon to have the star under a different surname or even some other unit such as Red Cross?

any help would be great.

Oddly SDGW doesn't show another service number which suggests he didn't serve with anyone else.

As far as I'm aware the medals were all sent automatically to OR's (officer's medals had to be claimed).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

His GRRF form shows the number 900. Can't find any evidence for that number.

TEW

Thanks for responses. I was thinking is there a way he was not entitled to a Star? But he is buried in land, and has a victory medal so I think not. 

Edited by adam1981

It's a Grave Registration Form on CWGC. The grrf has him as T. Jupe #900. Other CWGC info has his other number. I guess an error occurred which was corrected.

TEW

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. It looks like the Star entitlement will remain a mystery. I assume any mic would have an incorrect surname and a different number.