Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salvation Army officers

battle of loos

good mornng,

I would like to know what the role of the "Salvation Army officers" was with the army during the first world war.
could they be sent to France?
were they serving in the military hospitals?

In the "Cox" (p 218 & 2019-reference 1766), it is mentioned to be attached to the Army Chaplain's Department.

Here is a badge that I entered in a lot of object coming from land (Scotland):

crown

"BLOODY AND FIRE"

two crossed swords behind a  "S" intertwined on a cross 

641780937_salvationarmyofficiers(1).JPG.ad532717c7aedfce6e38f7cddd6f7e7c.JPG36045888_salvationarmyofficiers(2).JPG.309cf6d8c42f22d4be6a39e2c21a48a3.JPG

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Michel

Salvation Army officers were (and are) essentially equivalent to ordained ministers in other denominations.  If serving with the Army Chaplains' Department they would probably be treated as a free churches chaplain.  Salvation Army may also have run some recreation huts as did the YMCA and Church Army (a Church of England organisation that also uses the idea of the Christian soldier).

good Morning,

thank's a lot for your information.
I hadn't thought of looking at the site :

nationalarchives.gov.uk

regards

michel

• 11 months later...

In a very belated answer to the above, Salvation Army officers did indeed act as Chaplains and also (men and women) looked after the Salvation Army huts. Initially most were with the ANZACs and British Forces but once the USA joined, there were considerable numbers from there also (with the ladies often referred to as doughnut girls). I have various medal examples. The badge shown is the very symbolic design for members of the Salvation Army eg blood (of Christ) and fire (of the Holy Spirit). Any questions, please do ask. 

• 2 weeks later...

Female Salvation Army officers did serve as nurses too. For example, the Sallies had their own hospital Bethesda in Melbourne, Australia, where they trained nurses. Presume this happened in other countries too.