Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How do I identify a WW1 era York&Lancs cap badge?

Yorkshire Andy

Can any of the Pals give me a little advice?

I'm looking to purchase an original ( correct for the WW1 period ) York and Lancs cap badge. None of the dealers near where I live have any but there are plenty on E-bay. However, apart from the one that is all polished out, none of the others seem to look alike so I guess some are re-strikes. After all, it's not against the Trades Descriptions Act to describe something as "original" is it <_<

Thing is, how do I tell? I followed the thread a while back about the Gaunt markings to some of the re-strikes in circulation. But, is there anyone who can tell me what I need to look out for on this particular badge? Some of the badges (on E-bay where the slider is shown ) show a Gaunt makers mark and some do not??? Also, ASSUMING I can find one that I'm reasonably comfortable with buying, what is the going rate? Not a rare badge but I see prices ranging from £4 and going steeply uphill from there.

Finally, was there ever an all brass economy issue version of this badge?

All help, as always, most greatfully received.

Andrew

Andrew,

It's an absolute minefield out there, but here's a few answers to your questions.

Expect to pay between £6 and £10 for an original badge and about £15 to £20 for the all brass 1916 War economy (yes there is one!).

For a WW1 example, personally, I wouldn't touch one with Gaunt or any other manufacturers markings. These stampings seem to indicate later strikes on many badges.

As for spotting real from re-strike over a photo on a website such as ebay - it's a tough call. Sometimes you can't tell untill it's actually in your hand. Search around this forum. there's been a few threads on similar subject matter. You'll get a few tips from here.

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave. The search continues.

And could some kind soul find it in their heart to either IM me or E-mail me with the names of some reputable badge sellers. I've got a one or two names but there must be more of the good guys out there.

Actually, someone did e-mail me when I put a post on the "Gaunt" thread but like an a**e I deleted it in error :huh:

Andrew,

It's an absolute minefield out there, but here's a few answers to your questions.

Expect to pay between £6 and £10 for an original badge and about £15 to £20 for the all brass 1916 War economy (yes there is one!).

For a WW1 example, personally, I wouldn't touch one with Gaunt or any other manufacturers markings. These stampings seem to indicate later strikes on many badges.

As for spotting real from re-strike over a photo on a website such as ebay - it's a tough call. Sometimes you can't tell untill it's actually in your hand. Search around this forum. there's been a few threads on similar subject matter. You'll get a few tips from here.

Dave.

Dave,

Do original badges have a maker's mark on them? silly question?

Robbie

All,

I wouldn't dismiss all makes marks as there are many which are OK and to the best of my knowlege haven't been used on restrikes. FN B'Ham, Lambourne are two which spring to mind. I've heard a rumour that Firmin strikes are now being replicated and wouldn't touch Marples and Beasley with a barge pole unless it is the very deep striking. Likewise with Gaunt but there's a whole episode on them elsewhere on this forum.

To answer Andy's question about the Yorks & Lancs don't buy one unless you can see the rear. There should be a series of sweat holes and different manufactures strikes vary in their size and location but generally there is one behind the coronet just above the top of the slider and one or two behind the slider to the rear of the centre of the rose. Unfortuantely I don't have a scan of mine to show.

Keith

Do original badges have a maker's mark on them? silly question?

Hi Robbie.

It's definately not a silly question.

In answer to your question. Yes. Original badges do (sometimes) have makers marks on them. In general terms though, this didn't happen to badges manufactured between 1914 and 1918 (many of the "stamped" badges being post 1918) . Most, however, don't though.

Dave. (still haven't found a genuine badge manufactured pre-1950 for the East Lancs (my main collecting area) that has a maker's mark)