Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusliers Battalion Clarification

Woodsc

Hello

I am trying to research a soldier who served originally with the Lancashire Fusiliers and died serving with South Lancashire Rgt ~ died 30th September 1918.

His name is Frederick Kirkby and according to his medal rolls started with the Lancashire Fusiliers and had the service no 39305 serving in the 3/5th, 2/7th and 19th Battalions before moving to the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire Rgt service no 34464.

The CWGC lists him in the 2/7th Bn South Lancs ~ I had a look on the LLT but can only see the 7th Bn. ~ was there a 2/7th Bn.

The Soldiers Effects Register records him in the 2nd Bn. South Lancs.

Obviously I'm struggling and know there are a lot of experts in the forum who maybe able to clarify without breaking sweat!!  

Could anyone please give any information/clarification as to why he may have moved between the three Battalions while serving in the Lancashire's, also when he may have transferred to the 2nd South Lancs and why he is listed with CWGC 2/7th Bn.. I have tried looking for soldiers with a service number close to Fredericks to try and latch onto a set of service records which may help but no luck as yet (no actual service records for Frederick) 

Any help would be appreciated

Colin

34 minutes ago, Woodsc said:

Hello

I am trying to research a soldier who served originally with the Lancashire Fusiliers and died serving with South Lancashire Rgt ~ died 30th September 1918.

His name is Frederick Kirkby and according to his medal rolls started with the Lancashire Fusiliers and had the service no 39305 serving in the 3/5th, 2/7th and 19th Battalions before moving to the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire Rgt service no 34464.

The CWGC lists him in the 2/7th Bn South Lancs ~ I had a look on the LLT but can only see the 7th Bn. ~ was there a 2/7th Bn.

The Soldiers Effects Register records him in the 2nd Bn. South Lancs.

Obviously I'm struggling and know there are a lot of experts in the forum who maybe able to clarify without breaking sweat!!  

Could anyone please give any information/clarification as to why he may have moved between the three Battalions while serving in the Lancashire's, also when he may have transferred to the 2nd South Lancs and why he is listed with CWGC 2/7th Bn.. I have tried looking for soldiers with a service number close to Fredericks to try and latch onto a set of service records which may help but no luck as yet (no actual service records for Frederick) 

Any help would be appreciated

Colin

The service battalions didn't have a 2nd line like the Territorials had so 2/7th would be an error.

Craig

I suspect that the 2/7 refers to his service with the Lancashire Fusiliers, and that the CWGC have simply confused the regiments.

Ron

#34434 South Lancs record should assist

image.png.e7e9f64e690e0ff7a791091d9d53b185.png

Craig

Edited by Michelle Young
Please acknowledge source as per forum rules

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

#34434 South Lancs record should assist

image.png.e7e9f64e690e0ff7a791091d9d53b185.png

Craig

Hi Craig

Once again Thanks for your help.

I note the 3/5th Lancs arrived in Le Harve in March 1917 which probably ties in with your gratuity enlistment date (i.e 3 months training) ~ also note the 3/5th were disbanded in February 1918

Looking at the record you have kindly provided am I reading it right ~ my man was obviously with the 3/5th in April 1918 then we are presuming the two soldiers were posted to 2/7th

3rd May 1918  and then same day posted to the 19th Bn (Pioneer Bn). (any idea as to why? would it be related to the disbandment?) and then my man probably transferred to the 2nd Bn. South Lancs 11th May 1918?

Interested in your views

Colin

(any idea as to why? would it be related to the disbandment?)

Some sort of administrative process of moving men about.

It does seem both men moved through the same route of movement - I would suspect that they never actually got to the 19th battalion and they were still at a depot between 3 and 12 May 18. It's not uncommon to see various administrative moves before they finally settled on an end battalion.

Craig

5 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

I suspect that the 2/7 refers to his service with the Lancashire Fusiliers, and that the CWGC have simply confused the regiments.

Ron

Thanks for the feedback Ron

Colin

5 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Some sort of administrative process of moving men about.

It does seem both men moved through the same route of movement - I would suspect that they never actually got to the 19th battalion and they were still at a depot between 3 and 12 May 18. It's not uncommon to see various administrative moves before they finally settled on an end battalion.

Craig

Hi Craig

Thought this maybe of interest ~ Just been reading the 3/5th Lancashire Fusiliers War Diaries

13/2/1918 Battalion compliment 24 Officers 480 OR's when disbanded

14 Officers and 200 OR to 2/8th Bn Lan Fus

10 Officers and 280 OR to 2/7th Bn. Lan Fus

The war diary then makes reference to 'Unfortunately 9 Officers and 190 OR's were leaving the Division and proceeding to the 19th Bn. Lan Fus'

So the information you provided ties in nicely,  although there looks to be a gap in the transfer period 13th Feb (disbanding) to 3rd May1918

Colin